Just a heads up on these scamming gits

My mum when she was 82 googled about applying for an OAP renewal of my Dad's driving licence. The first thing that appeared on her computer search was a

"apply for your license here"

So she did at a cost of about £80, it's actually free for over 70's.

The service she paid for consisted of the scamming company sending her an application in the post with an envelope to send to the DVLA with a second class stamp on it.

I believe these companies still exist but I've just tried on my iPhone and it seems to filter them out.

I did send the company a threatening letter saying we were going to take legal action against them but my Mum passed away so I just let it go, I was livid about her being scammed, absolute wankers.

Yep. Very common scam. Used to be a variation of it with the EHIC, despite it being free to all applicants.

Exploiting Google algorithms to get to the top of the page.

A tip they gave us at work was to use the same password but prefixed with the website you are setting it for. So to use your name as an example your passwords would be NHSstevemacca, Screwfixstevemacca, Amazonstevemacca etc etc.

Yeah but once your password is leaked they could just try it on popular websites and hit lucky.

Man, I wish I was that clever
And thats not being sarcastic - I just wish I was that clever
I have recently started using a password manager called LastPass. It’s simple and effective. I’m about half way through populating it with all the stuff I log into and it works brilliantly. Now every account has a different password and I need to remember just one (the one to Lastpass).

I have recently started using a password manager called LastPass. It’s simple and effective. I’m about half way through populating it with all the stuff I log into and it works brilliantly. Now every account has a different password and I need to remember just one (the one to Lastpass).
There is a similar password manager from McAfee.

True Key | Say goodbye to the hassle of passwords.

It's free for up to 15 passwords, and £19.99 a year for unlimited passwords (well up to 10,000 passwords if you have that many accounts). I comes free as part of their premium AV suite which is currently £39.99 for a year.

Thanks

I had a text from Royal Mail saying I missed a delivery and I needed to pay for redelivery. I already knew it was a scam as it was from an "07" number, the website looked legit but think it had "http" and I wasn't expecting a parcel.

What I'd like to know is, how the f*ck did they get my number? (No, I've not been on any dodgy sites where I've entered my number)
Auto generating scrambling through voip.

its virtually impossible for anything on 3g plus or the internet you access to for example not have a scammer not to be able to access your email address these days for example whether you have been on a dodgy site or not.

Fortunately most are only after scamming you for money as opposed to identity theft or sending you a virus that is difficult to remove.

They rely on your curiosity to get you to next level.

The moral of the story is if you don't know the sender delete the message uno pronto.

It generates the same text or voice message to any mobile device or land line device until it finds a valid number.

I would gather the message didn't address you by your name.

Scam numbers can be any number including numbers you think come from a mobile device not just 07.

Last edited:
My mum when she was 82 googled about applying for an OAP renewal of my Dad's driving licence. The first thing that appeared on her computer search was a

"apply for your license here"

So she did at a cost of about £80, it's actually free for over 70's.

The service she paid for consisted of the scamming company sending her an application in the post with an envelope to send to the DVLA with a second class stamp on it.

I believe these companies still exist but I've just tried on my iPhone and it seems to filter them out.

I did send the company a threatening letter saying we were going to take legal action against them but my Mum passed away so I just let it go, I was livid about her being scammed, absolute wankers.

That’s one of the bigger problems IMHO. When you google something specifically you get loads of companies offering their services before you get to the website of the business you were looking for. Hotels and tickets for events are the absolute worst, you even get them incorporating the name of the hotel or whatever in the website address they want to send you to. If I look for a specific hotels name or whatever the first result should be that hotel then all the sites like booking.com. Same with searching for anything official, first result should be government website then all the “service” providers. I probably could have just said Google are cunts

I've had a text from someone called 'Man City' telling me to log into my account to print a ticket. It's so laughably bad it makes Nigerian spammers look professional.

I had similar from them. They sent me a text on Saturday at 8pm saying my mobile ticket will update for the next fixture…not falling for that pal, I’m still waiting for city to turn up because whoever that lot was on the weekend were imposters

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.