Kaka to City article

One of those fascinating Sliding Doors moments. How would the future have panned out for Kaka and, more importantly, City if he had signed? Would we have embarked on a Madrid-esque galactico transfer policy rather than the slightly more pragmatic approach that followed?

Don't really blame him for the decision he made at the time to be honest though. Milan and City circa 2009 were very different animals to what we see now. Don't really get the resentment towards him.

Good post. I was a bit disappointed at the time we didn't get him, but considering his knee problems, it was probably a good thing in the end.

One of those fascinating Sliding Doors moments. How would the future have panned out for Kaka and, more importantly, City if he had signed? Would we have embarked on a Madrid-esque galactico transfer policy rather than the slightly more pragmatic approach that followed?

Don't really blame him for the decision he made at the time to be honest though. Milan and City circa 2009 were very different animals to what we see now. Don't really get the resentment towards him.
You can be far too rational and levelheaded for this place at times.

Amazing how things happen. Looking back on the other January 2009 signings. Wayne Bridge and Craig Bellamy each played for a season and a half for us and was mediocre at best. De Jong was good for us for the two and a half seasons with the club. Shay Given was decent but eventually lost out to Hart.

So none of the January transfers lasted longer than two and a half seasons with the club and only De Jong was a consistent choice for that time. Kaka would have been more of the same. Since he left Milan, he only has one thing, a world recognized name. He isn't even one of the better midfielders in MLS.

The way it was told at the time by City was that we never got to put our proposals to Kaka and his advisors and so it was Milan that bottled it.

These remarks by Kaka are 180 degrees off ..... who is right!

Then Berloscuni showed his business nous a year later by selling him to RM for 30m less than we offered

All in all I don’t think we missed him at all .... personally I loved GC calling them bottlers

Amazing how things happen. Looking back on the other January 2009 signings. Wayne Bridge and Craig Bellamy each played for a season and a half for us and was mediocre at best. De Jong was good for us for the two and a half seasons with the club. Shay Given was decent but eventually lost out to Hart.

So none of the January transfers lasted longer than two and a half seasons with the club and only De Jong was a consistent choice for that time. Kaka would have been more of the same. Since he left Milan, he only has one thing, a world recognized name. He isn't even one of the better midfielders in MLS.
Bellamy, mediocre? He was a great player for us until Bobby froze him out. Bridge on the other hand...

The way it was told at the time by City was that we never got to put our proposals to Kaka and his advisors and so it was Milan that bottled it.

These remarks by Kaka are 180 degrees off ..... who is right!

Then Berloscuni showed his business nous a year later by selling him to RM for 30m less than we offered

All in all I don’t think we missed him at all .... personally I loved GC calling them bottlers

I think Kaka’s account is the accurate one and I was always under the impression that personal terms, etc, had been agreed and it was just up to him to give the green light.

The impressiom I get is that he was well up for coming to us but there were so many things for him to consider and I refuse to criticise him for staying at Milan as a result. The fans gathering en masse outside his apartment pleading with him not to go is what swung it IMO, and it’s interesting to note that when Milan sold him to Real that summer they waited until Kaka was away in South America on international duty before striking the deal. That killed any chance of the fans staging a repeat performance outside his gaff.

Can’t deny that I was disappointed at the time but in hindsight, and regardless of how his career has gone since, I think it was the wrong time for the club to try and make such a signing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.