Kalidou Koulibaly

Let's see how it goes when the season restarts, after the long lay off Stones might have got his act together, he's had a long time too recover from his injuries and to get over his personal problems. It'll only take a few games to find out if he has or not

Pep hasn't said we're moving more to 3ATB, Pep would never limit himself like that. Yes we do need a sensible left footed backup for Laporte but we need a starter NEXT to him. Fernandinho was intended this season to be CB cover and Stones the starter. It's obvious thats not going to be the case. A Young left footer behind Laporte and a starting CB next to him to replace whichever CB (if not both) of Stones and Otamendi we sell.
Come on now. START USING MORE OFTEN.
4-3-3
3-4-3
5-3-2

Once again Laporte has played 90% of his City career with either Stones or Otamendi.
Fernandinho Is more trusted than either of them, Then why did Ferna sign a new deal?

Why did Pep & himself say that before signing his new deal, he had to meet the Target of playing in a certain % of games he's available to play in? (If he was only going to be a bench warmer next season)

If we are going to get a 60M LCB & a 60M RCB, then why give Fernandinho a year extension? To sit on the bench? And Block Garcia & Bellis?

Yes, re de Ligt, I wanted him but in hindsight, would have been another expensive mistake. He’s failed miserably at Juve but ok he’s still young and has time. I got caught up in the hype, he was doing extremely well in the Champions League.

I also expected Stones to improve and he’s actually declined, these things happen.

Our group of central defenders is really poor. Other than Laporte who is class we have Stones, Otamendi, Fernandinho and Garcia.

Fernandinho is managing fine but he’s a short term fix. We need a major improvement and Koulibaly is that. Garcia isn’t.
If de Ligt can do "extremely well" in the Champions League at 19, in a weaker Ajax team with less experienced players around him, why can't Garcia?

There's absolutely no reason why Stones can't come good again either if he can sort out his personal life, hopefully this time away from football will help him to re-evaluate his circumstances and find some stability and contentment.

Fernandinho is the perfect short term insurance policy; if Garcia, Stones and I would also like to see Adaradiayo given an opportunity fail to emerge as Laporte's partner. We also have Rodri and Walker who can fill in during an emergency too.

Koulibaly is a brilliant player, absolutely top class every time I have seen him but he's still a risk as every player is. We've had so many serious long term injuries in recent years, it would be just our luck or he may just not settle, you never know. If you do sign him, there's very little chance of a decent resale value if things don't work out.

Harry Maguire is right footed and played on the left and we definitely went after him last summer so I dont think Pep gives a shit what side they play for other teams.

Of course he does. We went after Maguire for a very simple reason:
1) we had 0 foreign slots left, so we could only get a homegrown CB
2) Maguire was the best homegrown CB available. Ake was left footed, but we saw Maguire to be our ideal Target.

Our current Situation is completely different from summer 2019.

A left footed CB is a very important advantage in the way we play.

Last edited:
As everyone has already commented we have just one assured world class CB in Laporte everyone else is a hit and go. Koulibaly and Garcia are two extremely talented players -one on his prime and lot of experience, the other one - talented and experienced. Every signing and player have a chance of failing - God we have seen many in our defence. The rest is all about probability. Garcia has a higher probability of failing against a Real or a Liverpool team, Koulibaly less so. So let's take our chances shall we ? We don't want to lose a Knockout UCL match or title decider game against Pool because we never took a chance of signing Koulibaly. Garcia will get his moments next season too.

P.S. My opinion rely on the fact that we don't pay an exorbitant amount for a defender again. If that's a case i would rather go for a younger defender which could set us up for a decade.

I’m not convinced by him. I think he would be a short term fix.

I still have hope stones will come good. There are plenty of games he’s played where he has been fantastic, but always seems to get injured when on form.

if we are going after someone. I’d rather go after a young centre back that we can grow or bring through Garcia and bellis. Have some faith in youth. If we don’t give Garcia a chance he will leave and potential first teamed will need a 50m replacement

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.