Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig :)
Perfectly entitled to not rate a player, just often find it runs past that and becomes quite irrational, with no real back up as to why they don’t rate him. Which is fine, I personally haven’t watched enough of Phillips to want to push my view on him onto others but I can almost guarantee a lot of the people who don’t rate him also haven’t watched him enough to have such strong views. People seem to want to die by that opinion and will not change it no matter what. All seems similar to Grealish in that sense. The above might not apply to you in the slightest, I’m too lazy to go back and see your view on him, was more just a generalisation. Just think there’s little room for healthy debate on players, either have to think he’s a pub player or word class.

Don’t think I’ve been more on the fence about a signing. I’m seizing on the positive comments about passing range, pressing and City’s and Pep’s record with players but I ask myself would I care if the dippers or rags signed him. I’d get over it soon enough.
That second sentence has nailed it for me mate. If Liverpool signed him I wouldn't bat an eyelid. We can do so much better.

Seen plenty of this guy and at no stage have I thought he was City quality. However, I've seen plenty of blues banging the drum for this potential signing (after they heard we were linked with him) so I thought I'd take another close look at him tonight against a mediocre Hungary side. My opinion that he's a bang average plodder is unchanged.

I find it quite odd seeing people blame Southgate and his tactics for Phillips poor performance. If it wasn’t for Southgate being a negative, boring, out-of-his-depth manager, you would never have seen Phillips in an England shirt to begin with.

Phillips is a bang-average, run of the mill English midfielder. Everyone should know it because we have seen plenty of them over the years.

He will come to City and I’m sure he will do ok, it’s very rare these days for City signings to do anything else because the team as a whole is so good. I just don’t think you pay a premium price for this and it seems that is exactly what we are going to do.

£60mill for a squad player and that’s ok is it. Ridiculous amount to pay for a bang average player
I didn't say anything about the price pal...was just talking about his qualities as a player compared to other City players.

Bellingham was shit tonight and you are looking at £100m for him.

At least there were moments of quality from Bellingham.

The worrying thing about the performance from Phillips is that he was playing as a single pivot, as Rodri does, at the performance was a total contrast.

There was no composure on the ball, he wasn’t making himself available for the pass and he buckled under pressure from the opposition. His passing was either a long punt forward or a backwards pass, there was very little inbetween.

It doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or cannot learn the Rodri role, but it wasn’t an encouraging performance, especially with the fees being banded about.

At least there were moments of quality from Bellingham.

The worrying thing about the performance from Phillips is that he was playing as a single pivot, as Rodri does, at the performance was a total contrast.

There was no composure on the ball, he wasn’t making himself available for the pass and he buckled under pressure from the opposition. His passing was either a long punt forward or a backwards pass, there was very little inbetween.

It doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or cannot learn the Rodri role, but it wasn’t an encouraging performance, especially with the fees being banded about.
Phillips was poor tonight, but I am trusting our scouting team and Pep on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.