Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the position he plays there aren't exactly exciting signings, but an English international, heading into his peak years, with proven PL pedigree, for a reasonable transfer fee (given the market and his nationality) - it's a good signing on paper. Just need to see how fans of other clubs have responded, and it seems to be along the lines of "how is this transfer that cheap" to show its looked at as a good bit of business from the outside.

Time to support him and see how he gets on for us - wouldn't surprise me if he ends up doing a lot better than some on here seem to expect.

Decent signing. Bielsa is like doing your A levels before you do your degree with Pep. Think he'll slot in fairly quickly.

Does everyone think we are moving to a 4-2-3-1 then? Or is Ferna replacement in the number 6?
I think it could be 4-2-3-1 in games where Cancelo is pushed up further in attack. Then Phillips could give solid protection behind him. If Walker plays we could still play a 4-3-3.

Hard to get too excited about a DM when the one we have played so well last season.

It's a weird one because we absolutely need another one, but anyone we bring in will be seen as either an attempt to replace Rodri (which we don't want because we love Rodri) or "just a back-up" (which isn't very inspiring).
Everything you say there is of course correct, but I think it’s actually very difficult to buy back-up/rotation players. It’s far more difficult than just cherry picking the best player you can find. I guess the most important considerations are how he fits in with the group, is he likely to buy into being rotated or will he kick up a fuss, and does he offer a little bit of flexibility/versatility and some attributes that others in his position(s) don’t have.

And on every single point, Kalvin Phillips is perfect for our requirements. More than simply maintaining the atmosphere in the squad, I think he’ll enhance it, he seems a great guy. He’ll fit in great with the core English group especially. He can play as both a 6 and an 8 which is ideal, and he also offers a dynamism and energy that is outside of Rodri’s skill set. So he’s perfect. Great signing at a great price.

No you can't but in an accounting sense you can.

£37m on a 5 year deal (Gyabi being free) is £7.4m a year (without wages).

£42m on a 5 year deal (Gyabi being £5m) is £8.4m a year but just £3.4m this year (without wages).

So in an accounting sense it's been done to give us better options this summer.
Phillips being signed for £42m over 5 years costs us £8.4m per year.

Gyabi being sold for £5m goes straight towards the accounts. In effect that means if we sign someone over five years we could spend £25m or half the fee, accounts wise, for Haaland.

Gyabi would not be allowed to be classed as free for tax purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.