Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Phillips would struggle in our side. I've raised my eyebrow more than a few times at how loose his first touch has been on passes that were easy to control.

I'm definitely more sold on Rice than Phillips. I'd not be happy if rags bought Rice next year and then Bellingham the year after because that's their midfield sorted for the next ten years.

I really do not see why people think Rice is any good. I have only watched him for England rather than his club but he seems slow and worse hides when he should be offering passing options. It is noticeable that Stones and Walker seem to find progressing the ball harder for England rather than City.

Rice would be a significant downgrade on Rodri imo.

so your going to judge rice on England games. Rather then for West Ham? Where he’s been brilliant

how can you judge a player on that alone. Rice is West Ham’s best player and he’s only 21

I think Phillips would struggle in our side. I've raised my eyebrow more than a few times at how loose his first touch has been on passes that were easy to control.

I'm definitely more sold on Rice than Phillips. I'd not be happy if rags bought Rice next year and then Bellingham the year after because that's their midfield sorted for the next ten years.
It will happen if we keep giving them free run to have a crack at these players . We are a massive club with the best business model in the world and also the best manager but we somehow still think we’re inferior to these top teams and won’t go toe to toe with them.

I'd rather Rice or Bellingham.

A lot will depend on whether Rodri establishes himself as one of the premier defensive midfielders this season. If he does we may go for the Plan B option.

so your going to judge rice on England games. Rather then for West Ham? Where he’s been brilliant

how can you judge a player on that alone. Rice is West Ham’s best player and he’s only 21
For England he plays for better players than for West Ham so completely comfortable judging him on his displays there.
He lacks the ability to push the team forward and noticeably fails to get into positions to receive the ball from the England defenders.
Against both Italy and Poland England got pushed further back until they conceded. Not saying that Rice is solely to blame for that but if he had been more willing to receive the ball and try to link to the attack the results could have been different.
You are right that he is young and might improve as he gets more experience but currently he would not be able to effectively play the deep midfielder role for City.
West Ham would probably want £100 million for him which is crazy when
we have players like Lavia in the EDS who are potentially better.

Yeah, he gets a couple of impressive-looking long range passes in per game, but is nowhere near tidy enough with the ball over 90 minutes at this point.
If he plays with City that changes, because he doesn’t have to shag himself chasing their best attacking midfielder man to man all game, and gets to sit in and distribute, which he does quite well.

He has some speed and can tackle. We could do much, much worse. The harder part is getting him to leave Leeds, and possibly getting them NOT to give him a new long term contract with a nice PL-sized wad. Only hope then is him ensuring there is a CL/PL clause that allows him to leave for a CL team offer of £XXXXXX… or Leeds no longer in the PL.

EDIT: My apologies if this is old news and you’ve changed your mind. Just saw the date of your post.

If he plays with City that changes, because he doesn’t have to shag himself chasing their best attacking midfielder man to man all game, and gets to sit in and distribute, which he does quite well.

He has some speed and can tackle. We could do much, much worse. The harder part is getting him to leave Leeds, and possibly getting them NOT to give him a new long term contract with a nice PL-sized wad. Only hope then is him ensuring there is a CL/PL clause that allows him to leave for a CL team offer of £XXXXXX… or Leeds no longer in the PL.

EDIT: My apologies if this is old news and you’ve changed your mind. Just saw the date of your post.

I think we can also do better. For similar money and the same age, I'd take Bissouma ahead of him. Makes more tackles, is a better passer, and also carries the ball really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.