KDB wins PFA Player of the Year | UEFA Midfielder of the Year | UEFA Player of the Year (2nd)

Happy for Kev, if he stays fit throughout the season and doesn't miss many games, he will break his own record. He has always been terrific but raised his game to another level last season imo

In your opinion he deserved it. Being the City player of the season, in a record breaking topflight winning season, is an incredible feat too. Lets not forget what a season that was and his contribution to it.

I didn't agree with the decision personally because I thought the common train of thought, is to base if off the contribution to their team along with how successful the club's season was to decide it(most logical to me). We already have the golden boot award for the top scorer and he only beat the previous record by 1. Liverpool won nothing at all that year, came 4th in the league but got to the CL final(in no small part thanks to UEFA's officials doing a number on City over two legs). I accepted the decision in the end, although I did wonder what a City player would have to do to win any of these personal awards.

So breaking a goal or assist record trumps what success a player's contribution brings to a team, seems to be the justification. As long as in any other season, a club's success and any given player's contributions to it is how it's decided, I can see that argument. Makes you wonder what the writers' excuses are, for always finding a way to not pick a City player though.

What individual records were broken in 2018/19 though, where every City player got overlooked? Bernardo saves our season without KDB for most of it, Sterling was on fire, domestic treble/quadruple. A first in English football. VVD gets it.

Funny to see them Liverpool fans say: "Don't forget the Carabao Cup" now when it suits them though. Any petitions yet?

I agree that KDB had a brilliant season that year, but the performance of the team isn't a function of who wins the award for best individual. A club's success is rewarded with the Premier League trophy because it signifies the team that performed the best. It doesn't by extension mean that the best performing player must have played for that team. In term of POTY, more winners have come from teams that haven't won the league than players that have. Suarez, Henry, Bale etc all won it when their team didn't win the PL because they were the most outstanding player.

In 2018/2019, VVD stood out. His defensive numbers were virtually flawless; he single handedly took a leaky Liverpool defence and made them the best defence in England. In that season, we had multiple great performers like Sterling, Bernardo, Kun, Dinho etc but our success was based on collective brilliance as opposed to Liverpool's because they would never had put up a title fight without VVD as we saw in the year prior. Us winning this domestic treble meant nothing because the award was for the best performer in the PL alone.

That's why this season it had to be KDB. He was simply THE outstanding player in the league. There was no peer and, as much as the media tried to push it with every inch they could, the players were never going to argue anyone deserved it more.

Let's ask the experts...

When the football writers in this country vote for Henderson as best player in the league, you can hardly feel surprised, can you? Nothing new here really. And of course the problem is NOT these parasites, but actually the people who hired them. It's about those who make such decisions (and the criteria they use), it's about their knowledge (lack of) of the game, and so on...

As for those clowns, nothing to add, apart from what I always say on such occasions: Congratulations for stealing a living as ... experts in football. I mean it. It's pretty tough out there, and I guess some are prepared to do "whatever is necessary" so as to survive. Including experiencing moments of embarrassment or even humiliation, such as watching themselves in that video, together with the whole planet. They can handle it, trust me. And tomorrow they will appear in a studio again, sharing their wisdom on the topic of the day...

When the football writers in this country vote for Henderson as best player in the league, you can hardly feel surprised, can you? Nothing new here really. And of course the problem is NOT these parasites, but actually the people who hired them. It's about those who make such decisions (and the criteria they use), it's about their knowledge (lack of) of the game, and so on...

As for those clowns, nothing to add, apart from what I always say on such occasions: Congratulations for stealing a living as ... experts in football. I mean it. It's pretty tough out there, and I guess some are prepared to do "whatever is necessary" so as to survive. Including experiencing moments of embarrassment or even humiliation, such as watching themselves in that video, together with the whole planet. They can handle it, trust me. And tomorrow they will appear in a studio again, sharing their wisdom on the topic of the day...
Sums up all that is wrong with so-called sports journalism.
The complete lack of genuine insight, disguised as ‘experience‘, and the sneery tone with barely concealed mirth at the atrocious waste of money for a player that clearly is wildly over-rated.
They could not have been more wrong on every aspect of their analysis if had really, really tried.

Well done Kev, best player in the world in my opinion. Hope you spend the rest of your career at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.