Keeping it real. City and the Spanish giants.

zangatangring

I've observed alot of pessimism about how City'd fare against the two spanish giants this season, the (unfortunately) undisputed current giants of European football.

I'm sanguine about Barca. Yes, after the transfer window ends, we need time (2 months?) to become cohesive like any other team. However, when we're in the zone, how'd you guys feel about challenging Barca/Real?

I'm not too sure of R. Madrid. They have (arguably) the most diligent Manager in the world coupled with the biggest names in the world. On top of this, they have a squad which can compensate for the benefits of the English game. Pace, Height, Aggression and all the other physical attributes rarely alienate them. I just don't know.

What about Barca? I feel all the adulation is misguided. Such is the physical disparity between Barca and other sides has meant they have had to delegate infrequent Center backs (E.G. Yaya Toure, Sergio Busquets etc...). Even Mourinho has exploited this with a side that pertains to a more technical approach. Could they cope with the uniqueness of Dzeko and Y. Toure, the unmitigated pace of Richards and Clichy or even simply just be physically dominated? Chelsea almost and should've done so. Ok, at current, we'd be embarassed. However, this season, I see us as favourable underdogs. If not this season, surely next season?

Please give your opinions on formations/approaches/possibilities in how City could beat Barca/Real and whether you think it's possible this season.

Easybeatz said:
beating Real is possible, not so sure about Barca though

Really? You think so? I'd have thought it was the other way round. We're designed to exploit some of Barca's game, Real is slightly different. Why'd ya think that?

Funnily enough I'd feel we stand a reasonable chance against Barca. They'd be the biggest bunch of diving pricks you'd ever see at the Etihad though. Try and physically bully them and they'll claim you assaulted with deadly force. Aguero has been a thorn in Barcas side for quite a few years. With the supply lines we have I think both him and Balo could cause them real trouble.

However if we drew Real, I'd be in fear and if it was after the group stages I'd be 100% sure we were going out. Not only do they have Ronaldo as well as a brilliant team surrounding him but they have Mourinho, undeniably the greatest manager today. Arguably the greatest manager of all time. Barca were going out of the champions league last year till Alves started to get up to his usual cuntish tricks and went off on a stretcher when video replays showed Pepe made no contact. I'm pretty sure Alves was on a yellow, he should've been sent off for simulation and Pepe should've remained on the pitch. If it wasn't for another ref favouring Barca then as Mourinho said, they wouldn't have scored if they had played for 3 hours. Madrid are the team to fear in Europe.

I think they are the best 2 teams in the world but in a one-off anything can happen.

I still think even with our attacking talent, a tie vs Barca would be a hold on for dear life type scenario.

Vs Real, the chess match between Jose and Bobby would be so fascinating.

I'd love if we avoided both in the group stage to give us some breathing space if we stumble; I think we could hang with Bayern or the Milans, especially by mid October and the 3rd group stage matches.

Andouble said:
I think they are the best 2 teams in the world but in a one-off anything can happen.

I still think even with our attacking talent, a tie vs Barca would be a hold on for dear life type scenario.

Vs Real, the chess match between Jose and Bobby would be so fascinating.

I'd love if we avoided both in the group stage to give us some breathing space if we stumble; I think we could hang with Bayern or the Milans, especially by mid October and the 3rd group stage matches.

I totally agree with you in the sense that we're approaching the Bayern/milan type ability.

But what d'ya mean by 'chess match'?

i'm hoping that we draw one of them in group stages cos that would mean we avoid them till much later in comp tho barca are the only team i don't think we can touch yet if its just a case of been physical with them to beat them then they would lose pretty regularly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.