keeping our stars

IOWBlue

I hate more than anything giving the rags credit, cos i detest them and everything they stand for. BUT, why is it that most Blues agree that Silva will give us maybe 2 more seasons, Kun will be probably be gone in 2, Balo the same, Yaya too. They seem to hold on to most of their top players for the best part of their careers, ( the diver mark 1 excluded ). Do we need to become the biggest club and win countless trophies to get the sort of loyalty ( misguided or not ) that they get from Berbaflop, vidic, keane, etc.

What you have totally glossed over is the list of players who are happy to stay as long as their wanted

Hart
Taylor
Richards
Zabba
Kompany
Lescott
Clichy
Barry
De Jong?
Milner
Nasri
Dzeko

OP is right in that the truest and sweetest success will be when elite players view MCFC as the last stop on the journey to the top/the highest rung of the ladder. TBF, I think we are pretty darn close already. But I do have this terrible fear that Kun, Yaya, etc. love our club, but perhaps only view it as a stop on the journey. For some guys it's just about where they are from or the clubs they grew up admiring; like with Mario probably ending up at AC Milan. In other cases it's about a team where the player for some reason wants to "finish up" his career at like with Yaya and Barca. With the Mario thing, you get the feeling that even if he does stay with City for a while, that he does want to go back to Milan at some point during his prime. You'd like to believe that Yaya could give us quite a good while longer, but then again, if he wants to finish his career at Barca, it's not as if you can be old or past your prime and hope to start for them (that's what the MLS is for).

Perhaps it will take decades of steady trophies and European honors before players are raised, developed, and brought into the club who are familiar with the idea of City as an elite club, before guys dream their whole lives of one day donning the sky blue (though we as fans expect them to recognize how great it is to be Blue right now). But yeah, as much as it sucks, Man U has a rep that these players who came up in the 90's are all too aware of. The records of the Barcas and the Real Madrids and the Milans and the Juve, etc. speak for themselves.

I'm just hoping against hope that Aguero especially finds a home here and is a part of City's rise for the better part of his career. Not only because I love having him at the club but because he could be the key to bringing in other "lifer" type players over the next few years.

Right now? You'd have to hold out hope that Micah Richards, Joe Hart and Vinny Kompany at the bare minimum will be pretty darn close to career Blues from here on out. Micah's being brought through our system and loving our club, Joe's position as England's No. 1, and Vinny's marital situation all help reinforce this idea that they may stay here for a while.

But other than those two, there are real fears of losing Dave, Kun, Yaya, Balo, Dzeko (I know some of you are praying for one or the other of those last two to either stay or go depending on who you are), and maybe even guys like Lescott and Barry depending on who else we buy that may take time from them in the future...

We will grow to love whoever is here in many ways, but the day people like Eden Hazard giggle at the idea of going to anyone BUT us is going to be when we know things have truly changed. But in a sort of perverse way, I like the idea that young Eden must choose.. because it brings up the possibility that he either: a) chooses wrong and we rub it in his face with a few prem titles, or b) he chooses right and we ride him to glory over the manures and the chelseas that couldn't land him.

Till then, while we're on about rides, enjoy this one. It's hard to complain about being linked with the best players in the world every time a transfer window rolls around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.