Kenny Clements

scorer

and so it came to pass..... Manchester United fell
really strange, driving along the other day and his image and name flashed into my head... since then I've not been able to think about City without seeing him.

The older posters will remember him.

I could never work out whether I liked him or not. From what I recollect he had the pace of a snail and was invariable always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet he was a regular for a couple of years..... any other memories of him.

scorer said:
really strange, driving along the other day and his image and name flashed into my head... since then I've not been able to think about City without seeing him.

I could never work out whether I liked him or not. From what I recollect he had the pace of a snail and was invariable always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet he was a regular for a couple of years..... any other memories of him.

He was so one footed as to find it difficult to walk and not hop!

He's a driving instructor In oldham now

Know a few mates who have used him

top bloke played on the cheese gee cross golf society a couple of times. he even helps my builder mate out labouring when he,s not driving.

fbloke said:
scorer said:

He was so one footed as to find it difficult to walk and not hop!

I was just thinking this! ^

Clements came through as a centre half initially but was our regular right back for about two years in the seasons we finished second and fourth under Tony Book in the late seventies. Right back had been a problem for us ever since Book himself had retired. First Glyn Pardoe got a crack at the position but was clearly not the same player after his broken leg caused by George Best's tackle. After that, we bought Geoff Hammond then Mick Docherty to fill the position but neither was a success.

I always felt that Clements was a slight weak link in that late seventies side, though it may simply have been down to the fact that I was only a kid without much understanding of the game. He was one of only a few players we had around that time who wasn't an international, which perhaps coloured my view of him. In retrospect, though, he couldn't have been a mug if he managed to be a first choice in that team of Book's, because it was a very good side.

Anyway, he broke his leg against Ipswich and when he got back to fitness, he couldn't get the shirt back off Ray Ranson so left for Oldham. I remember Joe Royle in his early days at Oldham used to eulogise about Clements in the Pink Final and on local radio.

When he was brought back, it was in a cut price deal but he had a couple of good seasons forming a decent partnership with Mick McCarthy. The small fee Billy McNeill paid was a bargain, actually. However, without wanting to be uncharitable, maybe the fact that Clements was one of our more unheralded players in his first spell and one of our better ones in his second shows how we'd declined in the meantime.

Still, not a bad player and a "good servant" to the club, as the cliche goes. I wish him well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.