Am trying the Keto diet and the wife has decided she’d like a Chinese takeaway tonight. Obviously this is going to be a real minefield with the amount of sugar and flour used etc so was wondering what are the best choices, or is it better to just say “Sod it!” and have what I fancy?

Am trying the Keto diet and the wife has decided she’d like a Chinese takeaway tonight. Obviously this is going to be a real minefield with the amount of sugar and flour used etc so was wondering what are the best choices, or is it better to just say “Sod it!” and have what I fancy?

I know I'm a bit late with this, however, I've been keto for over 2 years and have a Chinese most weekends.

It is pretty limited. I tend to have salt n pepper chicken, salt n pepper ribs, a couple of small spring rolls, special egg foo yung, special black pepper, special black bean (small amount of beans in it).

Obviously not all that at once.

Most of the time we split the salt n pepper chicken, ribs and spring rolls between the 2 of us. Some may find it too dry without a sauce but we're fine with it.

I reckon a quick Google of what Chinese food you can have on keto may bring up other suggestions too if you're not feeling my suggestions.

Good luck with keto and I hope you can nail it.

No.
I just lost 6 kg in 5 weeks.
You have to think about everything you shove in your cakehole. And I mean everything.

Due to middle age spread, lack of activity and the fact I'm bored and having to self isolate courtesy of track and trace i decided saturday to try the keto diet with the sole aim of losing weight. If it adds anynother benefits then great. I've had 4 days since saturday where I have come in below my target of 23 grams. I only ever used to have 1 meal a day of an evening and binge on snacks. My diet was heavy with potatoes, rice and bread, copious amounts of bread to be fair. I'm now having 2 meals a day, dinner and tea and obviously cut out the carbs. My issue is, my fat intake isn't much higher than my carbs. My fat intake hasn't gone above 45 grams, so what do I do? Can I still get into ketosis if I'm not getting enough fat? Won't my body still just run on carbs but I'll effectively starve? How do I keep my carbs down but up my fat intake threefold from where it is now? Good thread by the way, been my go to guide since saturday.

Due to middle age spread, lack of activity and the fact I'm bored and having to self isolate courtesy of track and trace i decided saturday to try the keto diet with the sole aim of losing weight. If it adds anynother benefits then great. I've had 4 days since saturday where I have come in below my target of 23 grams. I only ever used to have 1 meal a day of an evening and binge on snacks. My diet was heavy with potatoes, rice and bread, copious amounts of bread to be fair. I'm now having 2 meals a day, dinner and tea and obviously cut out the carbs. My issue is, my fat intake isn't much higher than my carbs. My fat intake hasn't gone above 45 grams, so what do I do? Can I still get into ketosis if I'm not getting enough fat? Won't my body still just run on carbs but I'll effectively starve? How do I keep my carbs down but up my fat intake threefold from where it is now? Good thread by the way, been my go to guide since saturday.
Add nuts to your diet. Snack on them, add them to meals.

Drizzle olive oil and seeds over all your meals. Even crush up some nuts and sprinkle those over your meals as well.

Eat tinned fish with oil.

Eat eggs and avocados.

buy a bottle of C8 MCT oil from Amazon and take a spoonful a day to supplement your fat intake.

worked really well for me. Also helps keep you in ketosis if you have a Friday night take out binge....

I have noticed that I sleep a lot better and a really good bonus is my (mild case of) psoriasis appears to be clearing up. As for the colds, I have had a couple but usually after a session on the lash which I have to accept being a pisshead, although not as much as I used to be.
It's amazing to have a social life and still get good results on this just by being good during the week and visiting the gym 3 times a week.

how do you rate your workouts on a keto diet?

i found that i was much weaker and easily tired with weight work outs so at the minute I’m off the keto just so I can lift heavier.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm eating eggs like they're going out of fashion! I got some Brazil and pecan nuts but the carb intake per 100g serving is 5g and 9g respectively? I get the fat content is high aswell but my target is 23 carbs per day (using the app mentioned a few pages back) and im hovering around 20g of carbs. I'm eating healthier than I have in years and so if nothing else it makes it worthwhile. I've just looked at a tin of mackerel and sardines both less than 1g of carbs with high fat intake so that's probably the answer. I don't feel any different after 4 days, no keto flu, no dizziness or fatigue. I was suspecting that because my fat intake was so low, my body wouldn't switch and I wouldn't get into ketosis? I'm just looking at mct oil now and going to order some urine test kits.

I live by keto eating, I prefer not to call it a 'keto diet' because of the general association between the word 'diet' and the act of limiting the size or calorie content of meals.
I eat as much as I like / to satiation. I don't eat my first meal of the day until after 12 noon and more usually sometime between 1pm and 3pm, depending what I'm busy with. The late start to eating isn't a problem because our blood sugar levels are low in the mornings, and as blood sugar drives hunger by making the sugar into fat and also stopping you from getting at your fat reserves, it makes you hungry.
It's just soo easy to not eat at the start of the day and I tend to eat more for the pleasure than pronounced need as my system is now fully converted to using my fat as fuel - as per our design.

My particular pleasure is 'high fat, medium protein, low carb' (HFMPLC) Which sounds complicated but is actually very easy to live with provided that you prepare your own food.
I eat 3 dozen eggs a week, use full fat milk all the time and add double cream to tea or coffee. I buy organic meat and always eat every scrap of fat.
Whenever I can be bothered to weigh myself I clock in at around a steady 10 stone 10.
In my previous life I though I was eating healthy food but I didn't understand that our diets are driven by money - thus the cereal industry funds the British Heart Foundation and the BHF says that cereals are good for your heart. Which is simply not true, as I now know, but it sounded ok as it slotted right in to the nutricial advice given by our own government (copied from the USA's nutritional policies - and look at those fatties). My weight was anywhere between 12 stone 7 and 13 stone 7 and running marathons and exercising like a duracel rabbit wouldn't shift it!

In fact, when living on the HFMPLC food it's recommended that you don't weigh yourself as your waist measurement is a more appropriate guide to how you're doing as when you start to function as a fat fueled creature your fat just seems to disappear. I was tucked tightly into 34" waist trousers for most of my life and I'm a regular 28" waist now.

For most of my life I avoided eating fat as much as possible, I ate lots of fruit, lots of wholemeal bread, lots of cereal (all high carb) and I exercised like a mad man but was always hungry.
I just didn't understand that mankind ate very few carbs until quite recently as natural fruits and cereals were much smaller before they were developed for cropping and only available in the autumn - just when people needed to put on some fat as fuel for the winter.
Nowadays fruit & cerials are universally available all year round so society gets fatter and the rates of diabetes, heart disease and the many other carb related illnesses are going through the roof.

I'm not going to preach on about it, as you can find plenty of good information online, but I do urge that you think about what the Eskimo's ate. It was mostly seal blubber (easier to digest in an environment where theres no wood to burn to cook food) but also some oily fish and occassional sparse greens (litchen and small plants during a brief summer window if they were in the right places).
So they ate raw fat and meat and never ate cereal or fruit of any kind but they were incredibly fit people. You never saw an overweight Eskimo and they lived long lives in extreme conditions.

Last edited:
Unsweetened coconut oil is an excellent source of dietary fat with 90% of calories derived from fat and comes in 440ml tins from the supermarket as opposed to a palm tree : /

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-coconut-milk-keto

The keto works a treat but like other users I found it very difficult in the long term to fit in with my day to day life pattern. Also I am under no illution that in the end it's all to do with energy deficit and calories in and calories out. If we eat less and exercise more we lose weight and visa versa. Walking regularly has helped me immensely as have firing off the cakes, biccies and ice cream. I still drink every other day but mainly white spirits with low tonic.

If I feel like smashing a jaffa cake or three mid week then I can do, but moderation being the key word and if you want a biscuit have one just dont eat the packet. Weight in as of the 10th was 16.3 and height is 5,7 and a half. I have more chance of platting piss at my age of achieving a washboard stomach but as long as I can fit in my kecks I feel good to go. What I miss out on in the ripped I more than make up for by non maintainance of side sod clumps on the head, shaving both nostrils, trimming the eye brows, using Dove soap daily and moisterizing with Q10 morning and night. I also have most of my own choppers except for a few I got in Goa.

That is all except good luck on your journey and it does get easier as the weeks go bye:

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.