Kevin De Bruyne 2016/17

It appears the discussion has changed from should KDB be in the starting xi to should he be our playmaker ... maybe start a new thread? :)

I think City would be foolish not to play Silva & De Bruyne. Together with Agüero the best players they have. If it doesn't "click", make it click (Pellers) !

Silva playmaker, De Bruyne from the right I do agree.

People who prefer Navas to De Bruyne, in whatever type of game, I just can't believe that. Regardless of difference in style, the difference in sheer quality is just too big. (in favor of De Bruyne in case that wasn't clear)

They are not stats but facts. The reason why I gave them was because you were saying he struggles against packed defences.

When did I say he has played as a playmaker for us? He has switched in a couple of games, but started usually in the wide areas. What I am disagreeing with you, is that I believe he is a playmaker. This IMO is his best position and he should rotate with Silva, which would keep both players fresh.

Where he has struggled is away from home. You started this thread by asking if he could still command a place in the starting 11. At home I would say yes, but away from home no.

Sorry, you are suggesting rotating two entirely different players in one pivotal position? Is this a joke? You expect a team to work where the integral pivot in the team is rotated between two entirely different players with two entirely different skill sets?

This is insane. This is the reason we've been so inconsistent. Both De Bruyne and Silva are totally different players.

It appears the discussion has changed from should KDB be in the starting xi to should he be our playmaker ... maybe start a new thread? :)

I think City would be foolish not to play Silva & De Bruyne. Together with Agüero the best players they have. If it doesn't "click", make it click (Pellers) !

People who prefer Navas to De Bruyne, in whatever type of game, I just can't believe that. Regardless of difference in style, the difference in sheer quality is just too big. (in favor of De Bruyne in case that wasn't clear)
Navas gives us a much better balance with sterling on the other side,team dynamics is not only about talent

I was being diplomatic when I called you 'emotional'. At least that's what I hope it was, the alternative, would be to conclude you were flat out just lying to make a polemic point.

Here are the factual breakdown of the 1st 25 minutes.

1. City created 6 chances, had 61% of possesion. In that period DeBryune was involved in 4 of the 6 chances created.

Specifically regarding KDB in the first 25:
In that time DeBryune misplaced one pass (around minute 6 or so) Sterling passes to him and he mispasses it back behind Sterling and gives up a throw in. That was his only misplaced ball in the first 25 minutes, he completed 10 of 12 passes. One other pass was intercepted when Silva failed to cut into the box (min 23 or thereabouts)

His involvement in the game:
Our first shot on goal? A DeBryune freekick that the Dutchman parries, Silva gets to the ball and cuts back off that freekick and Aguero/Fernando miss out on the scramble for our 2nd chance.

3rd chance, Hart clears up field, NC leftback muffs a back pass header, Silva slips in but unable to control his lob over the keeper. Good chance wasted.

4th chance created, DeBryune interchange with Sterling, gets it back then cuts it back to an overlapping, Kolarov who puts a cross for an Aguero header.

5th chances created, DeBryune picks up ball wide left forward finds a cutting Fernandihno, who takes it down the line, Silva in tbe box raises his hand for the ball, Dihno cross it to him, but Chance is lost as ball slips thru Silva's legs in the 18 box.

5th chance created, a weak Sterling shot from outside, that was started by a DeBryune pinpoint thru- pass to Aguero over the top.

6th chance, Fernando latches on to a ball and picks out Aguero, who fluffs it.

You claimed also that DeBryune was so bad, Pellars had to move him out wide and move Silva to 10. Lmao. Really?

A guy who created or was involved in 4 of the 6 chances we had in the first 25 mminuts, was diposessed only once in the box. Completed 10 of his 12 passes, started 2 of the 3 couter attacks and made 1 tackle to boot. That is 'diabolical'?
Silva in the First 25 minutes
Comparatively, Silva created or was involved in 3 of the 6 chances, had 2 unforced errors ( including a chance sliping thru his legs in the box) completed 7 of 8 passes or and was dispossed 2ice. Oh, the ball Silva wiffed on in the ball was started by DeBryune too.

Furthermore, it was Silva who failed to track his man Wiljnaldum, who strolled pass him into our box to pick up the rebound and and put in a cros to Mitrovic for there goal.

The above fact, and Silva's general lack of defensive support of Zaba, was probably what necessitated the switching Silva to the middle, and DeBryune right until Navas could be brought in. By minute 27 you can see DeBryune marking Wiljnaldum tighly on the right.

So like I said you were being 'emotional.' And lets just leave it at that. As the alternative isn't as flattering.

I read your first few lines, but when you started going in to your GCSE stats report about why De Bruyne was great in the first 25 minutes against Newcastle, I just completely glossed over mate. I don't need your embarrassing and desperate analysis. I was at the game, I saw it with my own eyes. There were fans around me who are usually fairly reserved who were going absolutely mental in that first 25 minutes because of how bad we were. There were Pellegrini supporters who were shouting abuse at him, asking him what the fuck he was playing at. It's the worst performance I've seen from a City team at home since the takeover, possibly Watford in the FA Cup comes close.

He moved De Bruyne from the playmaking role after 25 minutes because it wasn't working. The team was playing appallingly, De Bruyne was playing appallingly, and incidently, so was Silva. When he switched their positions, we absolutely tore Newcastle to shreds. De Bruyne was superb from wide, and Silva was equally as superb as the playmaker. Switching their positions completely changed the game. If you don't believe me, watch it again. Watching on TV doesn't always give you the best perspective, but I assume you weren't there first time around.

The proof is in the pudding, never again when silva and De Bruyne have been on the pitch has De Bruyne played centrally and Silva played wide. The reason for that is the first 25 minutes against Newcastle. Send Pellegrini a letter, he'll probably confirm it for you.

I was being diplomatic when I called you 'emotional'. At least that's what I hope it was, the alternative, would be to conclude you were flat out just lying to make a polemic point.

Here are the factual breakdown of the 1st 25 minutes.

1. City created 6 chances, had 61% of possesion. In that period DeBryune was involved in 4 of the 6 chances created.

Specifically regarding KDB in the first 25:
In that time DeBryune misplaced one pass (around minute 6 or so) Sterling passes to him and he mispasses it back behind Sterling and gives up a throw in. That was his only misplaced ball in the first 25 minutes, he completed 10 of 12 passes. One other pass was intercepted when Silva failed to cut into the box (min 23 or thereabouts)

His involvement in the game:
Our first shot on goal? A DeBryune freekick that the Dutchman parries, Silva gets to the ball and cuts back off that freekick and Aguero/Fernando miss out on the scramble for our 2nd chance.

3rd chance, Hart clears up field, NC leftback muffs a back pass header, Silva slips in but unable to control his lob over the keeper. Good chance wasted.

4th chance created, DeBryune interchange with Sterling, gets it back then cuts it back to an overlapping, Kolarov who puts a cross for an Aguero header.

5th chances created, DeBryune picks up ball wide left forward finds a cutting Fernandihno, who takes it down the line, Silva in tbe box raises his hand for the ball, Dihno cross it to him, but Chance is lost as ball slips thru Silva's legs in the 18 box.

5th chance created, a weak Sterling shot from outside, that was started by a DeBryune pinpoint thru- pass to Aguero over the top.

6th chance, Fernando latches on to a ball and picks out Aguero, who fluffs it.

You claimed also that DeBryune was so bad, Pellars had to move him out wide and move Silva to 10. Lmao. Really?

A guy who created or was involved in 4 of the 6 chances we had in the first 25 mminuts, was diposessed only once in the box. Completed 10 of his 12 passes, started 2 of the 3 couter attacks and made 1 tackle to boot. That is 'diabolical'?
Silva in the First 25 minutes
Comparatively, Silva created or was involved in 3 of the 6 chances, had 2 unforced errors ( including a chance sliping thru his legs in the box) completed 7 of 8 passes or and was dispossed 2ice. Oh, the ball Silva wiffed on in the ball was started by DeBryune too.

Furthermore, it was Silva who failed to track his man Wiljnaldum, who strolled pass him into our box to pick up the rebound and and put in a cros to Mitrovic for there goal.

The above fact, and Silva's general lack of defensive support of Zaba, was probably what necessitated the switching Silva to the middle, and DeBryune right until Navas could be brought in. By minute 27 you can see DeBryune marking Wiljnaldum tighly on the right.

So like I said you were being 'emotional.' And lets just leave it at that. As the alternative isn't as flattering.

Whilst that's a nice post on paper. Fact remains, Silva and De Bruyne were swapped. We went from one down to 5-1 in just over half an hour. In your very own words, the swap was for the benefit of the team.

i think we actually look a bit more solid/rigid/structured with navas on the right instead of de bruyne, especially in away games. I dont have stats or facts to back me up, but too me it seems navas doesnt give the ball away as often and works harder to get up and down the pitch to help sagna as well when required. Although Kev usually has a better end product. Away from home id start with navas personally.

So yes, you've got the stats up, De Bruyne is way down on all our midfielders when it comes to ball retention, just as I said.

To suggests that a player even his biggest fans consider inconsistent who gives the ball away nearly every four passes is more suited to a central play maker is simply wrong.

It's not simply "wrong" it's a difference of opinion. I don't think De Bruyne is inconsistent nor do I think that giving the ball away once every four passes as opposed to once every five passes is a huge difference in ball retention. Especially when that difference in % is more than made up for via the chances created stat.

I can see that you're not only not going to agree to disagree but you think my POV is daft. Fair enough. We can revisit at the end of the season when we have a better pool of data for KDB.

Not really. The crux of the discussion is whether he deserves to start. A legimate claim. I think for niw, he should. But the playmaker issue is a sub issue. And on that issue, the answer is yes he can.

Don't think you'll find a single City fan that doesn't prefer De Bruyne to Navas when it comes to talent. De Bruyne is miles ahead. However the team seems miles better when he's not in it. It's that simple at the moment. Our best performances have come in Kev's absence a couple of games where we've demolished utter dross aside.

As it stands, in my opinion only Fernandinho, Hart & Aguero command a place in the starting xi.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.