Kevin De Bruyne 2016/17

You could never appreciate those subtleties from watching on TV. I think that is a big reason why the casual football fan doesn't appreciate Silva as much as the match going City fan. It's impossible to appreciate his game from a highlight reel, you have to appreciate the whole game and see his and other players movement off the ball and how he knits the whole team together.
I'm not sure why you think this? Personally I've unfortunately never had the chance to watch a City match live, but I absolutely love David Silva exactly for the reasons that you mention. The subtilities of which you speak do howewer show better on screen than in the stadium, I feel. It's zoomed in, it has replays etc. Whenever I go watch Belgium or Anderlecht live, it's the same thing. It's only watching the game again afterwards that you discover some of the subtle masterpieces players show on the pitch.
I think you may be mistaking with the general feeling of excitement that exists only in a stadium and that is generated whenever someone pulls of a great skill to a point where it even amplifies that piece of skill into something a lot bigger than it perhaps actually was. And that is absolutely beautiful and you can't reproduce it in your home, not even with dolby suround and all that :) But just objectively watching and analyzing the game - I know I'm on repeat now but so are you :) - is best done in front of a screen.

Far from "good" I find Dax's analysis short sighted and naive. And being a football man I'm surprised you disagree.
Not necessarily agreeing with how he sees the game (like you I prefer Silva to De Bruyne as playmaker remember), just saying that he is a fantastic debater. His arguments are excellent and well formulated too. So I was more commenting on his debate skills than actual football ideas.

You can't watch 'from all angles' on the tv though, that's the whole point. You can watch where the camera goes and that's it. You miss the multitude of off the ball runs and movement that take place, especially if you're higher up in the ground where you can see a perfect overview of what's going on right across the pitch.

That I do agree with. General game overview is best high in the stadium somewhere central, but unfortunately most of the stands don't offer that kind of view. The downside to sitting high up the stadium is that you don't get to see much of the actual skills by the players. It's usually one or the other when you watch live. TV with all it's replays and hundreds of cameras does allow to see both aspects in a good way.

I think you'd be quite amazed with the number of players that are bought based on video material alone.
It doesn't happen the other way around: players (in the top leagues) are never bought based on live scouting only. Scouts will prepare reports & videos for the club's decision makers, and then they will decide to buy yes or no.
Scouts from top teams will usually not sit in the stands either, they will often be (if possible accomodation wise) to be in an isolated box high up the stadium to have a view as clear as possible and not be influenced by fans opinions around them.
Reason I know this is that I am acquainted with a former Chelsea scout (eighties and nineties) who now lives in Belgium for a number of years already and likes telling story about those days. I don't want to brag about that or anything but just thought it 'd be relevant to make my point.

I do agree that live watching is perfectly suited to see general patterns and get a general feeling of who performed well and if the team is playing bad or good. In depth analysis however is not for live watching and it simply cannot be argued.

Yeh it would make sense that scouts watch from Directors boxes, I can't remember suggesting differently? It was you that mentioned atmosphere and fans "breathing on your neck" that was never a point I raised.

The point I raised is that you can get a much better appreciation of the game and an individual performance from being at the ground. That's based on the view you have of the whole pitch and movement off the ball, nothing to do with atmosphere.

"In depth analysis" is a completely subjective term. Of course there are some things you can appreciate from video with multiple replays that you can't appreciate at the game. But as you have just said yourself, pattern of play, movement off the ball etc you can appreciate much better in person.

That's why your point about Dax's analysis being "good" is incorrect and incompatible with your post above. My analysis of De Bruyne and Silva in the Newcastle game is based on movement, pattern of play. As you have confirmed yourself, video analysis is in no way comparable in analysing this than being at the game.

I'm sure lots of players have been bought via video analysis alone, and a lot of them are lousy. We had a player called Giorgios Samaras who was bought based off a video and he was an unmitigated disaster.

There's a reason City have the largest network of scouts in the world. Over 300 spanning Europe, South America, Africa and Asia. They are not all sat in the office all week doing video analysis. Of course they will do a fair bit of that, but the reason they are based all over the globe is so they can attend as many games as possible, actually "scout" players and analyse them properly. Just like your friend at Chelsea did from the directors box.

That I do agree with. General game overview is best high in the stadium somewhere central, but unfortunately most of the stands don't offer that kind of view. The downside to sitting high up the stadium is that you don't get to see much of the actual skills by the players. It's usually one or the other when you watch live. TV with all it's replays and hundreds of cameras does allow to see both aspects in a good way.
Yeah, I'm sat in a great position hence I think I know everything about everything. Haha!

Not necessarily agreeing with how he sees the game (like you I prefer Silva to De Bruyne as playmaker remember), just saying that he is a fantastic debater. His arguments are excellent and well formulated too. So I was more commenting on his debate skills than actual football ideas.

Haha! Oh I understand what you meant now. I completely disagree but of course you are entitled to your view.

Where you sit can make quite a difference. Glad to say the view from my seat at the ground is excellent; sadly I will have to watch from an armchair tonight.
It really does. I wouldn't swap my view, maybe a block to the right of me which is a tad more central, but in the main I love being able to see the whole pitch. I've moved around over the years for cup games etc and some areas are hard work.

I never wanted us to sign KDB. I felt he was overated and overpriced. I now feel he is a luxury player, but exactly the luxury player we will need. We aren't going for like for like, as who is exactly as good as Merlin and Yaya. If Pep comes, then the players will look at us as their 1st option. Pogba and his like will be very keen. If Pogba comes, plus a huge upgrade on our fullbacks plus Corman then KDB is then part of a more coherent team and will shine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.