Kevin De Bruyne 2016/17

I'm not sure why you think this? Personally I've unfortunately never had the chance to watch a City match live, but I absolutely love David Silva exactly for the reasons that you mention. The subtilities of which you speak do howewer show better on screen than in the stadium, I feel. It's zoomed in, it has replays etc. Whenever I go watch Belgium or Anderlecht live, it's the same thing. It's only watching the game again afterwards that you discover some of the subtle masterpieces players show on the pitch.
I think you may be mistaking with the general feeling of excitement that exists only in a stadium and that is generated whenever someone pulls of a great skill to a point where it even amplifies that piece of skill into something a lot bigger than it perhaps actually was. And that is absolutely beautiful and you can't reproduce it in your home, not even with dolby suround and all that :) But just objectively watching and analyzing the game - I know I'm on repeat now but so are you :) - is best done in front of a screen.

Ha mate, I'm on a completely different page to you on this. You think the subtleties of David Silva's game and movement off the ball "show much better on screen" than in the stadium? I don't mean to be patronising, but if you've never seen him play in a stadium how could you possibly know that?

I've been going to football for over 30 years and you are literally the first person I have ever heard say that you get a better view of the game on TV than at the ground. Unless you're sat on the front row and can't see what's going on, I don't understand how that could be possible?

I've seen David Silva play over 100 times in person at a ground. I've seen him over 70 times on TV. Trust me, you get a much better appreciation of how good he is when you are sat high in the stands and can see his and the whole team's movement. I think you'll struggle to find a match going fan who disagrees.

It's strange that you seem so adament that my view of the game could be so influenced by other fans and atmosphere. For you to say that I'm guessing it must have a big impact on you when you attend a match? Perhaps it is a novelty for you and a bit unsettling? Well I've been to over 800 live games, and the novelty of the excitement of fans singing and breathing on me wore off long ago. It has no influence whatsoever on my analysis of the game.

It really does. I wouldn't swap my view, maybe a block to the right of me which is a tad more central, but in the main I love being able to see the whole pitch. I've moved around over the years for cup games etc and some areas are hard work.

Our block is perfect and whilst we do not have the best position in it we couldn't be much better placed but it took years to get into such a good location. We had seats in three different stands at Maine Road and it was only when they seated the Kippax that we got this location; which got replicated at CoMs / Etihad. Likewise I love to be able to see the whole pitch. Watching on TV is a right pain but living 180 miles from MCR means I too often have to.

I'm not sure why you think this? Personally I've unfortunately never had the chance to watch a City match live, but I absolutely love David Silva exactly for the reasons that you mention. The subtilities of which you speak do howewer show better on screen than in the stadium, I feel. It's zoomed in, it has replays etc. Whenever I go watch Belgium or Anderlecht live, it's the same thing. It's only watching the game again afterwards that you discover some of the subtle masterpieces players show on the pitch.
I think you may be mistaking with the general feeling of excitement that exists only in a stadium and that is generated whenever someone pulls of a great skill to a point where it even amplifies that piece of skill into something a lot bigger than it perhaps actually was. And that is absolutely beautiful and you can't reproduce it in your home, not even with dolby suround and all that :) But just objectively watching and analyzing the game - I know I'm on repeat now but so are you :) - is best done in front of a screen.

If indeed as is my guess you're from and reside in Belgium, welcome as a City fan by the way. You'll not be aware of Sky's latest innovation. I'm pretty sure it's called tactical cam. It's the angle that best represents the live experience and the way that the annalasists watch the game. That's why Neville and Carragher can show patterns of play, shape and highlight things that the normal viewer will not see.

You have to remember that the live stream is dictated by an editor. They will follow the ball and only the ball. The replays will only show what they've already shown just from slight different angles. For me I doubt the editor cares or even likes football. A mate of mines dad was a camera man and editor for ITV. He was always on City games, stood in the freezing cold at the top of the kippax. He'd never kicked a ball in his whole life, he couldn't tell you a player's name.

They have introduced tactical cam as it shows you the whole game, you can watch like you're in God's. It's for those fans that want more than just the editors view. It doesn't miss a action to show highlights, it doesn't show fucking celebrities in the crowd. It's purely to give a stadium view.

As Shaelum is saying, nothing beats stadium experience to watch the play. Now granted you have the idiots that shout shooooooot Everytime the ball is within 40 yards of goal but in general you get a feeling for the game.

This is where the subtle differences between Kev and Dave are obvious.
As I've pointed out, De Bruyne is obviously a wonderful front foot player, very direct and incredibly creative often with his first touch. His vision for a run or space is outstanding, but there's no doubting he's not great at dictating play. He doesn't flourish with his back to goal. He doesn't get too involved deep. He wants to influence attacking play in the most dangerous positions.

Unfortunately City need Silva to get him the ball in those advanced positions. To play him centrally, you'd then have to play Ya Ya, as Delph ,Fernando and even Fernandinho would struggle to get him the ball in positions where he would influence the play. So we'd then have one midfielder defending and a players who's very nature is flamboyant in possession. For me this simply wouldn't work.

Now the issues of balance are not De Bruyne's fault, if he plays left, Navas hugs the right, that is not balanced, if he plays right and Sterling left, they both drift, cramping any space.

What I would love to see is Toure deep lying, Pirlo esk, Fernandinho and Delph as traditional box to box midfielders and De Bruyne and Silva wide but with freedom to roam. Much like the 442 days when Ya Ya was young enough to do two jobs and Nasri, Silva and Toure dictated the whole game. If we controle possession you could have Prior and Jobson at the back.
It's when we lose possession all of a sudden Ya Ya looks like your dad playing 5 a side and our centre back look a shambles.

That's why I belive Silva should be central, and we should have pace out wide. That allows the midfield to protect the back four. We would look more solid. But it's horses for courses as many have said and there's no reason why Silva and De Bruyne can't play together in a vast majority of games.

To me De Bruyne is outstanding at what he does, but he will need Silva to get him the ball. Playing De Bruyne centrally will not only be detrimental to the team for reasons covered but detrimental to Kev too. He's not an idiot, he's not a kid. He'll know he'd have to temper his game as a play maker in the PL, as if he played purely to his strengths the team would certainly be weaker.

It's strange that you seem so adament that my view of the game could be so influenced by other fans and atmosphere. For you to say that I'm guessing it must have a big impact on you when you attend a match? Perhaps it is a novelty for you and a bit unsettling? Well I've been to over 800 live games, and the novelty of the excitement of fans singing and breathing on me wore off long ago. It has no influence whatsoever on my analysis of the game.

Yes you do tend to be a bit patronizing when you go into debate :)

I said I never had the pleasure to attend a City match live in the stadium, I don't want to bore you with how many years & other games I did see live in the stadium. Just not City.

But the principle is the same. Whether you see Silva at City, Hazard at Chelsea/Belgium or Thielemans at Anderlecht, you can't help but miss out on some of the action when you're in the stadium. If you're sat in the left side of the east end and the action happens at the left side of the west end, how can you see it? To see every move and bit of skill in detail is only possible via screen, and that's the end of that! ;-)

I never wanted us to sign KDB. I felt he was overated and overpriced. I now feel he is a luxury player, but exactly the luxury player we will need. We aren't going for like for like, as who is exactly as good as Merlin and Yaya. If Pep comes, then the players will look at us as their 1st option. Pogba and his like will be very keen. If Pogba comes, plus a huge upgrade on our fullbacks plus Corman then KDB is then part of a more coherent team and will shine.
He's not overated or overpriced he just isn't very suited to our style of play yet.

He's not overated or overpriced he just isn't very suited to our style of play yet.
I wouldn't even say KDB isn't suited to our style of play. What he's ill-suited to is the oft redundant and ill-defined role he's expected to play when Pellers names a starting XI that is a collection of all our stars, instead of the most balanced team. Silva is not getting any younger and he does struggle to stay healthy. KDB will have time to acclimate to the squad and learn from Silva, and others, before taking center stage as an automatic selection.

Yes you do tend to be a bit patronizing when you go into debate :)

I said I never had the pleasure to attend a City match live in the stadium, I don't want to bore you with how many years & other games I did see live in the stadium. Just not City.

But the principle is the same. Whether you see Silva at City, Hazard at Chelsea/Belgium or Thielemans at Anderlecht, you can't help but miss out on some of the action when you're in the stadium. If you're sat in the left side of the east end and the action happens at the left side of the west end, how can you see it? To see every move and bit of skill in detail is only possible via screen, and that's the end of that! ;-)

You'll notice with me mate, I only patronise people when they patronise me first. Your repeated insinuation that my judgement was clouded because of fans singing and breathing on me was patronising in the first place.

Dealing with specifics, we were talking Silva and his movement off the ball. I was explaining how I have seen him dozens of times in a stadium and on TV, and you get a much better appreciation of his game when you see him in the stadium. I'm afraid all of the Belgium and Andelecht matches in the world won't give you that insight in to Silva's all round game. You have to watch Silva specifically to get an insight in to him.

There are no restricted views at The Etihad, I sit near to the half way line, so I manage to see the play develop all over the pitch without any trouble.

In 30 odd years of going to football, you are literally the only person I have come across who has said you get a better appreciation of the game from TV than in the stands. I'm not wishing to argue with you, but you are very much in the minority if that is your view.

My overarching point is that you can better appreciate David Silva's movement off the ball, his pass selection, his linking of play from being in the stadium and seeing the whole pitch. With respect, you've never seen him in a stadium so you are not qualified to even debate it with me, you are merely speculating.

But as someone who has seen him over 100 times in a stadium, and over 70 times on TV, I assure you, you get a much better appreciation of his all round game by being in the stadium, it is not open to debate.

I wouldn't even say KDB isn't suited to our style of play. What he's ill-suited to is the oft redundant and ill-defined role he's expected to play when Pellers names a starting XI that is a collection of all our stars, instead of the most balanced team. Silva is not getting any younger and he does struggle to stay healthy. KDB will have time to acclimate to the squad and learn from Silva, and others, before taking center stage as an automatic selection.
The main problem with that is his price tag you can't have your most expensive signing ever be anyones understudy.

The main problem with that is his price tag you can't have your most expensive signing ever be anyones understudy.
You can when he's coming to a club with some of the best players in the game. And don't misunderstand, I do think KDB should start on a semi-regular basis. I'm not suggesting he just warm the bench. Only that Pellers should incorporate a squad rotation system that takes advantage of the wealth of options he has to construct the best possible team on any given night, instead of just rolling out a team with all of our best players. Again, given the injury history of Silva, along with the way form can wax and wane over the course of a season, there's plenty of minutes to go around.

You'll notice with me mate, I only patronise people when they patronise me first. Your repeated insinuation that my judgement was clouded because of fans singing and breathing on me was patronising in the first place.

Dealing with specifics, we were talking Silva and his movement off the ball. I was explaining how I have seen him dozens of times in a stadium and on TV, and you get a much better appreciation of his game when you see him in the stadium. I'm afraid all of the Belgium and Andelecht matches in the world won't give you that insight in to Silva's all round game. You have to watch Silva specifically to get an insight in to him.

There are no restricted views at The Etihad, I sit near to the half way line, so I manage to see the play develop all over the pitch without any trouble.

In 30 odd years of going to football, you are literally the only person I have come across who has said you get a better appreciation of the game from TV than in the stands. I'm not wishing to argue with you, but you are very much in the minority if that is your view.

My overarching point is that you can better appreciate David Silva's movement off the ball, his pass selection, his linking of play from being in the stadium and seeing the whole pitch. With respect, you've never seen him in a stadium so you are not qualified to even debate it with me, you are merely speculating.

But as someone who has seen him over 100 times in a stadium, and over 70 times on TV, I assure you, you get a much better appreciation of his all round game by being in the stadium, it is not open to debate.

I can't get my head around how quickly people feel or maybe pretend to feel offended on a forum.

I haven't said that YOUR judgement is biased by what supporters around you are shouting, I merely meant as a general remark re watching live at the stadium, that it's more difficult to focus on watching the match in detail when surrounded by a bunch of loud supporters.

Neither did I claim that watching from home is better than watching live. I told you I much prefer watching in the stands as well and I do it almost every week, Anderlecht home games, Belgium home games and occasional Chelsea home games (through my friend the former Chelsea scout - it's hard to get any tickets for us Belgians otherwise).

I only said, to agree with Daxx's point, that to watch the game at home on a screen with the comfort of replays, etc. is much better suited for objective in depth analysis. Whether or not you actually want to do that or like doing that, is something else.

So I would appreciate if you stopped twisting my words like that just to create some kind of a conflict.

And I appreciate your love & admiration for David Silva, but I'm quite sure he's not the only player in the world who you can only truely appreciate inside the stadium...

It's just a different atmosphere, a different experience, a much better one than watching from home yes ... but that was never the point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.