Kevin De Bruyne - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol there were a few giveaways today. He still had the best assist of the World Cup so far though. Also, to be fair, Belgium in general looked a little off and out of it.

Kev was absolutely horrendous today. Nice assist after about 25 misplaced passes, possibly the worst game I've ever seen him have.
This is the pass map for Belgium against Panama. If not for Kevin, their midfield would not exist. He's quite literally running their entire midfield. Also notice that big star? Yeah that means that he was the player involved most times in creating goals.

Kev was absolutely horrendous today. Nice assist after about 25 misplaced passes, possibly the worst game I've ever seen him have.
Nonsense.

His radar was off,and he may have been poor in comparison to his usual world class standard,but he was still the best midfielder on the park.His energy,desire and constant probing was awesome,the pass/assist to the big lump up front was sublime.

Had a poor game for me, as did Belgium as a whole for about the hundredth time in a row I’ve seen them. This Belgium team is the 2002-2006 England team all over again.

A bunch of good players who don’t play well together.

Had a poor game for me, as did Belgium as a whole for about the hundredth time in a row I’ve seen them. This Belgium team is the 2002-2006 England team all over again.

A bunch of good players who don’t play well together.

Nonsense, put that meme to rest.

We now play an intricate passing game with good pace and heavily relying on combinations. Martinez did visbly build a lot on that and we have the technical players to theoreticly pull it off. If our team wouldnt be able to play well toghether though we wouldnt be pulling that sort of stuff off.

Martinez is not a perfect manager, he made good improvements to our attacking game and organisation to his merit, but he didnt nessecarily improve so much on our defense.
As usual our wings are somewhat of a concern, especially the left wing with Carrasco who made some defensive errors yesterday.

Star players now have better defined roles leaving eachother more space to do their magic, but that does indeed mean KDB sits deeper innitially. Players like Hazard and Mertens are used to being a sort of playmaker for their team and are epic enough at it that it does not require KDB in that attacking midfield area to fill that role. Especially Hazard likes to create chaos with the ball at his feet and KDB might not have the patience for that when he would be in attack given his more direct style. But KDB is very effective from a deeper position too, and extremely usefull for the team there, while Hazard and Mertens are thriving too.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Belgium. The defensive concerns remain but for all the improvements Martinez made to attack it also typically results in lots of high quality goals trough highly technical and intricate team play. Its fairly enjoyable to watch too.

Last edited:
Only an idiot like Martinez would use one of the world's best creative attacking forces as a holding midfielder. He really is hopeless. Pep would win the World Cup with that team.

He's not playing as a holding midfielder, he's playing as a #8, the same role Guardiola plays him here, and he'd play him in the same role if he managed Belgium too.

One of the ways we know that is because according to De Bruyne, Guardiola decided to play Kev there after seeing Martinez use him in that role for Belgium and seeing how well he played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.