Kevin Keegan opening my school's new building in 2002 while City manager

youngbob

2002. Cheadle Heath Primary School in Stockport. New building, cost £1m to put together.

The school reached out to King Kev who came down and stayed all afternoon. It was only meant to be a bit of a ribbon cutting event but he was there from 2pm til about 4pm. He got involved with some netball as well.

Apparently my headteacher at the time was mates with Paul Lake and his family. Lakey got in touch with City and passed the word down to Keegan, who said "Absolutely" and did it as a favour to Paul.

My mum's enduring image of the day was his poor wife waiting in the car park while Kevin chatted to absolutely everybody and everyone who went within 6 feet of him. A really class act who never said no to anyone.

Nice little trip down memory lane.

kk4-jpg.91964

kk3-jpg.91965

kk2-jpg.91966
kk1-jpg.91969

Attachments

• kk4.JPG
    kk4.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 204
  • kk3.JPG
    kk3.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 198
  • kk2.JPG
    kk2.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 197
  • kk1.JPG
    kk1.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
There's an article about it here - the MEN uploaded it to their website in 2005 but the words were written in 2002.

2002. Cheadle Heath Primary School in Stockport. New building, cost £1m to put together.

The school reached out to King Kev who came down and stayed all afternoon. It was only meant to be a bit of a ribbon cutting event but he was there from 2pm til about 4pm. He got involved with some netball as well.

Apparently my headteacher at the time was mates with Paul Lake and his family. Lakey got in touch with City and passed the word down to Keegan, who said "Absolutely" and did it as a favour to Paul.

My mum's enduring image of the day was his poor wife waiting in the car park while Kevin chatted to absolutely everybody and everyone who went within 6 feet of him. A really class act who never said no to anyone.

kk4-jpg.91964

kk3-jpg.91965

kk2-jpg.91966
kk1-jpg.91969

Always one weirdo who wears the club shirt of someone different in pics lol

kk4-jpg.91964

kk3-jpg.91965

kk2-jpg.91966
kk1-jpg.91969
Head teacher mrs meakley.

20230605_160550.jpg

Top, top bloke.

My daughters first game v Everton, 5 mins before kick off and he gladly posed for a piccie. At half time, Mike Summerbee came over and, at King Kevs suggestion (because he noticed she was a bit of a handful), asked if she wanted to go in the press box and eat cakes with the tea-lady. She did of course, I got a peaceful 2nd half and duly collected her at full time.

Can't see that happening nowadays somehow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.