Kevin Keegan

Yep.It needs to be stated.Loud and Clear.Watching City,under KK,home and away,you could hold your head high.Watching pure ,out and out attacking football,Every week..

We,ve got kevin Keegan!
100 goals a season!!
Was bounced out by us Blues at every away ground.
When you went to work all week,you wanted entertainment at weekend,and by jove,we got it.
I think that happened for a while but by the 3rd season we always struggled to get a 2nd goal, but if we got it we tended to score more.

The 4th season we signed Mills and Thatcher and it was far more defensive, we got 0-0s at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge, even played SWP in a 3 man centre mid away against united in a 4 5 1.

My theory is the transfer windows ended him, he seemed to sign players to give the team a boost when in any difficulty, and that was taken away form him. He also wanted out of football management after he quit Newcastle the first time, and wanted to open a football theme park and went to Al-Fayed for funding when he was offered a job instead.

I think that happened for a while but by the 3rd season we always struggled to get a 2nd goal, but if we got it we tended to score more.

The 4th season we signed Mills and Thatcher and it was far more defensive, we got 0-0s at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge, even played SWP in a 3 man centre mid away against united in a 4 5 1.

My theory is the transfer windows ended him, he seemed to sign players to give the team a boost when in any difficulty, and that was taken away form him. He also wanted out of football management after he quit Newcastle the first time, and wanted to open a football theme park and went to Al-Fayed for funding when he was offered a job instead.
You could see the light going out in his eyes over his last year or so. Remember that awful defeat at Oldham and he didn’t leave the dugout? He fell out with our best player, Bercovic, too, and leaving him our of the team made us a lot weaker.

I had a bit of a feeling at the time that the sterile atmosphere and the (then) new stadium affected him too. His first two seasons had some of Maine Road’s best ever atmospheres and he loved all that.

I still think even after all the success we've had the last few years the 2001/2002 season is my favourite. The team was absolutely spot on with Ali B and Berkovic running things. It was also the breakout season for SWP and you could see a real team spirit in the side and that they loved playing for City. I also thought Darren Huckerby was outstanding at times although most of the plaudits went to the Goat and Ali and Eyal.

I still put the season review on DVD now and again and some of the football was sensational at times. The Burnley at home game, Wolves away and Ipswich away were some real cracking performances.

With regards to Keegan the 2004 season you could just sense it was all coming to an end. Anelka looked a tad disinterested, only bringing in Thatcher and Mills, a lack of creativity in the middle of the park.

Still we had some great times watching his style of play and some of the players he was able to attract to City at that time.

I still think even after all the success we've had the last few years the 2001/2002 season is my favourite. The team was absolutely spot on with Ali B and Berkovic running things. It was also the breakout season for SWP and you could see a real team spirit in the side and that they loved playing for City. I also thought Darren Huckerby was outstanding at times although most of the plaudits went to the Goat and Ali and Eyal.

I still put the season review on DVD now and again and some of the football was sensational at times. The Burnley at home game, Wolves away and Ipswich away were some real cracking performances.

With regards to Keegan the 2004 season you could just sense it was all coming to an end. Anelka looked a tad disinterested, only bringing in Thatcher and Mills, a lack of creativity in the middle of the park.

Still we had some great times watching his style of play and some of the players he was able to attract to City at that time.
That Burnley at home game was a cracker ,we were neck and neck at the top of the league..and put 5 past them,with Wanchope scoring an absolute belter in front of the North stand.Burnley fans that day must have been shell-shocked!

Wolves away was also billed as a top of the table clash,Wolves had been showing great form, esp.at home,and the talk all week leading up to the game was how difficult a match it was......enter the stage SWP! Two goals,2nil win,job done.

Remember us being linked with him when he was still playing as a cut-price 'replacement' for Trevor Francis, think it was 100k !!!! I like the fact that he has said more than once that although people always associate him with Liverpool and Newcastle he lets it be known that he loved his time at City too

Loved watching his City team as a kid, not sure on the shout that he didn't have money to spend though! £22m on Macken, Vouso and Anelka within 6 months of each other was no small change, another £6m on Fowler as well!

That said he gave us the best football we'd seen in a generation and got the fans believing in the potential of the club again.

Easy to forget about Huckerby,not my fav type of player,a bit too head down and a touch selfish at times but he weighed in with more than his fair share of goals that record breaking season,i think he Wanchope and Goater all finished with 20 goals....i cant remember exactly but that must have been some sort of record in itself.
Didnt huckerby score 4 or 5 against Birmingham city at Maine rd in a league cup match?

That record breaking season ended at Gillingham away..when Ali B played a one two with Goater,by deftly back heeling his pass to tee up the shot which Goater duly slammed home,on the volley,to the absolute amazement of every one in the ground.i imagine that goal is still rated the best ever seen by quite a few Blues.
Standing on the old away terrace that day was fun,and as we trickled out of the ground,dreaming of our return to the top division,news filtered through that KK had made a bid for Peter Schmeical....KK had done it again,perfect timing.

That Burnley at home game was a cracker ,we were neck and neck at the top of the league..and put 5 past them,with Wanchope scoring an absolute belter in front of the North stand.Burnley fans that day must have been shell-shocked!

Wolves away was also billed as a top of the table clash,Wolves had been showing great form, esp.at home,and the talk all week leading up to the game was how difficult a match it was......enter the stage SWP! Two goals,2nil win,job done.
My ex-brother in law was a bit of a dick and a massive Burnley fan. He'd been giving it out before that 5-0 match and had been with my sister in their end. I'd been too but hadn't seen him after the match. The following day we were going out somewhere on a family do and we went to pick them up. He got in the car and I just went "I'm saying nothing" and smiled and he jumped out the car, slammed the door and went back in the house. It was really childish - I've never done the football banter thing at all - but funny.

Wolves away I was in their end on some corporate do. It was hairy and I couldn't celebrate until I got on the coach. That was a big high - that result almost secured the title. Remember Stuart Pearce missing that penalty in the last game which would have given him 100 goals? To be fair to Pearce, when he was doing the lap of honour he was imitating skying a penalty and laughing with the crowd.

With regards to that Gillingham game I was in their end as I couldn't get a ticket for the City end. It was a bit hairy to begin with with lots of anti city feeling etc but it soon disapated as our wonderful football took hold and knocked the wind out of their sails. It seemed they realised they were watching some great football and was easier to watch that rather than berate City.

I was doing ok being incognito until the final goal and stood up and let out a little cheer until realising my surroundings. Rather than have a go at me the fans around me were pretty complimentary towards our football and I was able to make it out of priestfield without incident.

That Goater goal from Ali Bs back heel is something else though. If it was in the premier League it would have been talked about for years.

Wolves completely collapsed after that game, the masterful ease of City’s win in front of their own fans and a live TV audience knocked the stuffing out of them. Think they slipped from clear second and title contenders into the play offs and missed out completely. Then we somehow unloaded Fat Bob Taylor onto them for a profit. No wonder they still hate us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.