Kieran Trippier

I'd imagine if England were to meet Belgium in the final, 90 minutes of Hazard ripping him to shreds may well change the media's narrative.
True mate. It's a shame because I've seen him quite a bit and I rate him but he doesn't have enough as a full or wingback for me. Not over the course of a sucessful gruelling premier league season or champs league run.

This England side is a work in progress with some issues, despite the success, and unless they win the whole tournament and everyone involved gets protected status for the rest of their careers, I'd be fairly confident in predicting Trippier won't be starting in the England side by 2020.

He does have a great dead ball delivery, but as is seen often in the league, he's not fast enough or a good enough defender to play in a back 4. This system works because Walker can bail him out every time the ball goes behind and with most teams playing narrow formations he gets completely free license.

However we already know that this England 352 was forced on Southgate by the complete absence of creative central midfielders good enough, he was quite open about that after qualifying when he made the switch. It doesn't suit Sterling and Alli, Lingard and Walker are all out of their best positions. As a result England have actually been pretty shite at creating anything through open play.

So unless the success of this tournament blinds Southgate to the issues with it, he will want to go back to 433 which gets the best out of the best English players if he can. By 2020 the likes of Winks, Maddison, Lewis Cook, Tom Davies, Loftus-Cheek, Maitland-Niles maybe even Foden will be serious options with a few more years of experience behind them, and some of them will be good enough to start.

That'll mean curtains for IMO at least Trippier, and Henderson.

Still he's a nice lad by all accounts and it's good to see him get his moment in the spotlight, although Walker should be getting a lot more praise for facilitating it because without him, Trippier would be the defensive weakness he is for Spurs, where as others have pointed out Sané tore him apart and he fucked up against Juventus too, knocking them out of the CL.

He'll probably get into the Team of the tournament.

Ok was it before or after the ankle injury OP?
https://id.mancity.com/news/first team/first team news/archive/2012/october/micah richards talks about knee injury
Inspiring that your behind an injury prone player:-)

Like I said water under the bridge we move on...
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? He was injured at the Olympics, out for a couple of months and then tore his meniscus in the Swansea game and was out for most of the season. Before that his injury record was no worse than anyone else's, he racked up about 220 appearances in 7 seasons before the injuries started.

I heard this as well on SSN, and also his dad on the BBC saying he was the best RB in the world.

Funny I don't remember him been best in the world when we stuffed Spurs twice last season.
He's not even playing as a RB, he's doing a good job as a wing-back but if Southgate switched to a flat back 4 it would surely have to be Walker at RB.

Good to see City links all over the World Cup. Guidetti for Sweden, Boyata with Belgium, Corluka of Croatia, and the list goes on and on. I claim any City link I can. One that stands out is Bury-born Keirin Trippier. During his time at City, Micah Richards was linked with Chelsea and Ar$enil, as Zaba was talked about heading to Barca. Coupled with the fact Trippier still was developing physically, he was quite far down. We had a clutch of first teamers that could play RB as an unnatural position. He had little chance. Fair play to him in his evolution at Spurs. His football formation years also featured clubs like Burnley and Barnsley. He knows the game well enough to play for many years. He has appeared for England U18s, England U19s, England U20s, England U21s, and now the senior England squad. He is capable of joining the England Masters team one day and could well reach national legendary status with the chance before him now. I wonder what the away friendly game for City, against Barcelona did for his vision. Did it inspire? That came a season after lifting the FA Youth Cup with City. Good luck to him with England and in his future of football.

Good post, obviously wish he was still with City.

This England side is a work in progress with some issues, despite the success, and unless they win the whole tournament and everyone involved gets protected status for the rest of their careers, I'd be fairly confident in predicting Trippier won't be starting in the England side by 2020.

He does have a great dead ball delivery, but as is seen often in the league, he's not fast enough or a good enough defender to play in a back 4. This system works because Walker can bail him out every time the ball goes behind and with most teams playing narrow formations he gets completely free license.

However we already know that this England 352 was forced on Southgate by the complete absence of creative central midfielders good enough, he was quite open about that after qualifying when he made the switch. It doesn't suit Sterling and Alli, Lingard and Walker are all out of their best positions. As a result England have actually been pretty shite at creating anything through open play.

So unless the success of this tournament blinds Southgate to the issues with it, he will want to go back to 433 which gets the best out of the best English players if he can. By 2020 the likes of Winks, Maddison, Lewis Cook, Tom Davies, Loftus-Cheek, Maitland-Niles maybe even Foden will be serious options with a few more years of experience behind them, and some of them will be good enough to start.

That'll mean curtains for IMO at least Trippier, and Henderson.

Still he's a nice lad by all accounts and it's good to see him get his moment in the spotlight, although Walker should be getting a lot more praise for facilitating it because without him, Trippier would be the defensive weakness he is for Spurs, where as others have pointed out Sané tore him apart and he fucked up against Juventus too, knocking them out of the CL.

To be fair Sane rips defenders to shreds when he is on his pomp. When Walker gets forward well I noticed Stones and Macguire want Tripps to drop back, so him and Walker are working well in tandem together. Trippier is a decent player but he has his faults, same with Walker with his occasional brain fart but they look good so far, mind you so does our whole defence and goalie. This wing back role suits him well

Bit harsh on Trippier, especially when Walker has made numerous high profile fuck ups - ball watching for Iceland’s equaliser at Euro 16, ball watching for Burnley’s equaliser last season, the mistake against Wigan in the Cup, the penalty vs Tunisia, giving the ball away vs Colombia..

He was definitely way behind Richards and Zaba in 11/12, neither Trippier nor the club could have foreseen Richards getting such a serious injury at the 2012 Olympics. At the time the move was right for both club and player, but not for the first time City undersold a youth team product.
Exactly. I think back to the mid / late 80's youth team players such as Earl Barrett, Paul Warhurst, Darren Beckford and Neil Lennon.
All becoming million pound plus transfer fee players after City sold them for peanuts to Oldham, Port Vale and Crewe and all bar Beckford becoming international players.

Yeah, as some have said, he's looking great because he doesn't have as many defensive duties. Trippier is able to bomb up and down the flanks with the back three in place but his defending would be exposed a bit more if he was the RB in a back four. While Maguire has played very well in the tournament, he is also benefiting from playing in a back three rather than being one of two central defenders.

But Spurs fans would tell you he's surpassed Walker...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.