Kippax?

mad4city

Just wondering... does anybody know where the name Kippax came from?
I know the 'maine' in Maine Road could ultimately be traced back to the US state of that name and a respect for prohibition being so readily embraced in that place (See! I do learn the odd thing from Bluemoon!).
For some reason I'd had it in my head that it (Kippax, I mean) had something to do with the Boer War. I just went and googled it and I couldn't find any such thing though.
Yes, by the way, I am aware it was called after the street. That's not quite the full answer to my question, though.
And... while I'm on my hobby horse: who or what was Platt?

EDIT:
Thanks in advance, by the way!

You may be thinking of the Boer War because "The Kop" came from there, something to do with the Battle of Kop Spion:
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop</a>

A lot of clubs renamed their stands informally that because the banks of the stands were steep, like the battlefield.

Kippax is a town in West Yorkshire, that much I know. Maybe it's got something to do with that?

I beleive that Kippax was a family name for a family of Royalists in the civil war

The Boer war connection is the "Kop" after the battle of Spoin Kop, (which was a hill)

amazingly my wife comes from the village of kippax,not far from leeds
she tells me its name is ancient anglo saxon for the "ash tree on the hill "
i,m guessing streets are named after places because they point at them on a map ?

Barcon said:
At the risk of looking like a right plonker, I was told by a Pool supporter that the KOP stood for King over Pope.

no kop definatley comes from spion kop little hill as in slope behind goal
not really sure but wasn't the kippax stand was just named after the street

Kippax was the shop where Swales bought his comb over (Ireland kept up this city tradition for a bit)

whp.blue said:
Barcon said:
At the risk of looking like a right plonker, I was told by a Pool supporter that the KOP stood for King over Pope.

no kop definatley comes from spion kop little hill as in slope behind goal
not really sure but wasn't the kippax stand was just named after the street

I think the question is also, where did the street get it's name. LOL

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.