Knee trouble

big phil

Anyone had steroid injections in their knee? And did it work/help?

Been having trouble with my right knee for a few years now, had an arthroscopy 4 years ago which revealed the cartlidge behind my kneecap was deteriorating. Now it has pretty much gone, and the pain is getting worse, although this is largely due to inflammation. The doctor says the knee needs to be replaced but I'm too heavy and need to lose weight first. In the meantime I am on Naproxen and can have steroid injections.

Any other suggestions for reducing the inflammation (apart from 'lose weight fatty' as the doc already did that one) would be greatly appreciated.

Only the obvious really bud, keep it horizontal with a slight bend, say a pillow under the joint. Cod liver oil tablets and plenty of oily fish.
Maybe cold compresses every 4 hours.

Ive got damage to both of mine and some arthritis problems, I just try not to stress them to much

Andy - was just thinking you don't seem to have had man flu for a few weeks? Getting a bit worried about you.

im sure i heard they only help for around 3 month then you have to have another,i had one in my shoulder and it did nothing for me, complete waste of time

Had a knee replacement last October. Horrible operation but am starting to see the benefits now. Static exercise bike in front of tv has been instrumental in weight loss for 4yrs. Subtitled programmes are great. Injections were useless. Remember you are in England and have the Nhs, I waited for 6 yrs from first appointment to the op. Have the op soon as you can, it is a traumatic experience but the sooner its done the sooner you are over it.

I have severe arthritis in both knees but just between my kneecap and femur where all cartilage has now been lost but as I'm 47 and the rest of the knee is okish then I can't have the replacement yet. So yes tried the injections and they were brilliant for a few weeks then the aches and pains came right back - but felt worse as I'd had that pain free period which I hadn't had for a few years. I've decided now to have the injections rarely so for when we're off on holiday or a motorbike trip.

Had a knee replacement last October. Horrible operation but am starting to see the benefits now. Static exercise bike in front of tv has been instrumental in weight loss for 4yrs. Subtitled programmes are great. Injections were useless. Remember you are in England and have the Nhs, I waited for 6 yrs from first appointment to the op. Have the op soon as you can, it is a traumatic experience but the sooner its done the sooner you are over it.

When I had my double hip replacement the bloke in the next bed had his knee done. He had it done using an epidural and while I was lay there in agony this **** was sat up eating ice cream and gleefully telling everyone it didn't hurt at all. Then an hour later when the epidural wore off he was crying like a fucking baby. I was less than polite when I told him to be quiet.

I used to have plenty of injections in both my knees when I played football. They gave up when I was 26 with the club doctor telling me I needed to stop all sport. So I did. If you are going to have the injections only do them sparingly. They work but not for long.

Best bet...

Lose the weight. I put on a bit when I stopped playing, found that running was shit, rowing was great (Gym or on water) and cycling built up the muscles around the knee. Do not do Spinning though. I still wake up on cold nights with huge pain in both knees on occasion. They sometimes refuse to bend or work but are far better since I lost weight.

Lose the weight mate, seriously. It will help ten fold.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.