Kompany involved in consortium to buy Stockport County?

Isn't there a benefit to running a company at a loss for tax purposes?
Though i think The Sun on Sunday might just fail with a fake Sheikh scam on this stitch up

True & true.
Stockport is in Cheshire, but pays rates to Manchester, which is the same for any village in Stockport, so Hazel Grove, High Lane, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall etc pay rates to Manchester, whereas Disley & Poynton (plus anywhere else heading towards Macc from Poynton) pay their’s to East Cheshire Council. Postal address is Cheshire, Rates is Manchester.

Sorry mate but you’re wrong on both accounts.

Stockport MBC pay Manchester Council & Disley is in Cheshire, not High Peak, so pay East Cheshire Council. The boarder of Stockport & Cheshire Council is the High Lane Disley boarder & Hazel Grove to Poynton boarder going the other way.

Stockport = GMP & GM Fire Service hence paying rates to Manchester
Disley = Cheshire Police & Cheshire Fire Service hence paying rates to Cheshire

However, all these areas have a Cheshire postal address.

Lived in the area nearly all my life pal, so am fully aware of who gets my taxes & what my address is ;)

Stockport don't pay Manchester Council unless you mean the contributions made to the GMCA

There are 10 councils that make up the Greater Manchester Combined Authority GMCA, Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan. The GMCA is run by the leaders of the ten councils and the mayor Andy Burnam. Funding for fire and police services, crime commissioner and the mayor is raised from precepts imposed on each of the ten councils' council tax. Transport funding is raised in the main from a levy on the councils and from central government sources.

Historically only are Stockport in Cheshire and Manchester in Lancashire but other than historical there are no ties to either. When the Greater Manchester Council was formed all authority was moved to GMC However GMC was dissolved and replaced by GMCA.

Stockport don't pay Manchester Council unless you mean the contributions made to the GMCA

There are 10 councils that make up the Greater Manchester Combined Authority GMCA, Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan. The GMCA is run by the leaders of the ten councils and the mayor Andy Burnam. Funding for fire and police services, crime commissioner and the mayor is raised from precepts imposed on each of the ten councils' council tax. Transport funding is raised in the main from a levy on the councils and from central government sources.

Historically only are Stockport in Cheshire and Manchester in Lancashire but other than historical there are no ties to either. When the Greater Manchester Council was formed all authority was moved to GMC However GMC was dissolved and replaced by GMCA.
Yep, that’s correct.

Would I be correct in saying that all of those councils have a stake in Manchester airport too?

Bit off topic, but good luck to Vinny.....Stockport County, City’s future feeder club. Bet their fans would love that!!!!! ;)

Sorry mate but you’re wrong on both accounts.

Stockport MBC pay Manchester Council & Disley is in Cheshire, not High Peak, so pay East Cheshire Council. The boarder of Stockport & Cheshire Council is the High Lane Disley boarder & Hazel Grove to Poynton boarder going the other way.

Stockport = GMP & GM Fire Service hence paying rates to Manchester
Disley = Cheshire Police & Cheshire Fire Service hence paying rates to Cheshire

However, all these areas have a Cheshire postal address.

Lived in the area nearly all my life pal, so am fully aware of who gets my taxes & what my address is ;)
I stand corrected about Disley, but Stockport MBC do not pay any of your rates to Manchester CC.
Money for fire service, ambulance and the dibble goes to the Greater Manchester Council (or whatever name they are called) which is a pot all 10 councils within Greater Manchester contributes too which also pays Mayor Andy Burnham's wages too!

EDIT just read the post above.

As for the airport, this is from Wiki

The Manchester Airports Group plc (MAG) is a holding company which is owned by the ten metropolitan borough councils of Greater Manchester,
Of the ten metropolitan boroughs of Greater Manchester, Manchester City Council holds the largest stake, at 35.5%. The remaining nine councils hold a total of 29%. IFM Investors own a 35.5% stake in MAG. The Group has its registered office at Manchester Town Hall.[5]

Last edited:
I stand corrected about Disley, but Stockport MBC do not pay any of your rates to Manchester CC.
Money for fire service, ambulance and the dibble goes to the Greater Manchester Council (or whatever name they are called) which is a pot all 10 councils within Greater Manchester contributes too which also pays Mayor Andy Burnham's wages too!

EDIT just read the post above.

As for the airport, this is from Wiki

The Manchester Airports Group plc (MAG) is a holding company which is owned by the ten metropolitan borough councils of Greater Manchester,
Of the ten metropolitan boroughs of Greater Manchester, Manchester City Council holds the largest stake, at 35.5%. The remaining nine councils hold a total of 29%. IFM Investors own a 35.5% stake in MAG. The Group has its registered office at Manchester Town Hall.[5]

The airport belongs to Wythenshawe ;)

Stockport council is part of the GM club. There are 10 councils and each of the ten council regions pay a council tax rate decided by the local authority. Stockport is in fact greater Manchester postally and references to Cheshire, Manchester etc. are either historic or area snobbery.

Stockport council is part of the GM club. There are 10 councils and each of the ten council regions pay a council tax rate decided by the local authority. Stockport is in fact greater Manchester postally and references to Cheshire, Manchester etc. are either historic or area snobbery.

Council tax revenue is retained locally Business rate revenue is split 50:50 between the local authority and the government

I am one of those blues that hopes Stockport County disappears. Bitter? Yes.

Hope Vinny stays away from them.

I lived in Albert Gardens, a couple of mates were on Leng Rd, and then some on Droylsden Rd itself opposite the Horseshoe, but moved away too. My old man and a couple of others go in the Nelson to watch some games, but mostly they go over the border to The Willow in Failsworth. City supporters club, and has a double decker bus to and from home games. The Lancaster Club on Broadway used to do the same ... But maybe nowadays not as many Blues as in my time there....

The Nelson is in Failsworth. No? It was my uncle Ronnies local, at the end of his rd (Newton rd).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.