Kalidou Koulibaly

Yes, and the price would be missing out on the CL-trophy to (probably) Liverpool yet again. One thing is certain, we need either Koulibaly or Skriniar to win UCL in 2020. Forget about Stones and Otamendi.
With Fernandinho in central midfield we Will winn Champions league

without a world class CB next to Laporte. We arent winning the CL. The PL sailed a while ago now. Itll be silly for us not to upgrade in January. This season might as well be binned. Id be pissed if its February and we didnt upgrade.
We are still going well in two domestic cups and you want us to bin the season - wow

This team has been without a dynamic true defensive presence for years. We have gotten by but it has been a weak point from the full backs to center backs. Our offense has made up for our shortcomings. Mangala was a bust, Stones was a hopeful signing but simply is not making the grade. Otamendi has had good showings and honestly I've liked him but he is not reliable and his mistakes have been disastrous. Laporte is clearly our best defensive get in recent memory and will pay dividends moving forward but he needs a competent presence next to him. We can't hope for Garcia or THB to be ready anytime soon as they won't be. We can't gamble on prospects who might be the next big name. If we have the chance to purchase a bonafide CB now who will be at that level for 3 to 5 years we should put the money on the table. We see the consequences of not covering for Kompany's departure and he was well past being first choice when he moved on.
If we settle, we'll pay the price.

We conceded just 50 goals in the past two seasons of league, better than the next best by 10 goals. Don't know how much more defensive you want to get.

How many teams have two genuine, WC centre halves?. I'm talking top 10, which Laporte and Koulibaly are. I wouldn't say no to it, but it's not necessary and frankly overkill. We shouldn't have to and can't stack every squad position with WC talent.

Our defensive issues are stemming from elsewhere.

We conceded just 50 goals in the past two seasons of league, better than the next best by 10 goals. Don't know how much more defensive you want to get.

How many teams have two genuine, WC centre halves?. I'm talking top 10, which Laporte and Koulibaly are. I wouldn't say no to it, but it's not necessary and frankly overkill. We shouldn't have to and can't stack every squad position with WC talent.

Our defensive issues are stemming from elsewhere.
We largely didn't concede because of the huge amount of possession we had, and when we lost it, we pressed so quickly and usually won it back. Also, we had genuine pace on the counter so teams were less likely to commit.

Whilst you're right about there being wider concerns not just around the back 4, we're definitely much more fragile without Laporte, Otamendi is likely out and Stones has regressed massively. Having a World Class CB reduces our reliance on a single player, and could be a good mentor for Garcia/THB.

We are still going well in two domestic cups and you want us to bin the season - wow

You clearly didn’t read what I said. I said the season “might as well be binned” as in we need a CB to properly compete for the main things. The main goals are CL and PL. PL is gone let’s be honest. CL we still have a chance but we need a top CB to properly compete in it. That’s what I was implying not what you are suggesting

Will not understand if we don't make a move for him in January. If we are losing Sane the money should be invested in Koulibaly and Sancho. I have faith in THB/garcia, why I think the age is a non-issue. He is also the same age as Virgil. Really hope Pep get's his head out of his ass. As good as Dinho is, Koulibaly gives us exactly what we lack. I don't know what FFP pressure is looking like atm but we have players we can sell, beyond Sane.

You clearly didn’t read what I said. I said the season “might as well be binned” as in we need a CB to properly compete for the main things. The main goals are CL and PL. PL is gone let’s be honest. CL we still have a chance but we need a top CB to properly compete in it. That’s what I was implying not what you are suggesting
Fair enough, in my mind though, a season is a period of time in which several tournaments are played, not just a selection from those tournaments

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.