Kyle Walker : 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker up to his usual comedy of errors for England the other night. Got caught out a couple of times and any other team would have severely punished England. He’s too reliant on his pace to get him out of his errors, and then it’s hardly graceful, more like a Sunday pub team RB with jet power.

Walker up to his usual comedy of errors for England the other night. Got caught out a couple of times and any other team would have severely punished England. He’s too reliant on his pace to get him out of his errors, and then it’s hardly graceful, more like a Sunday pub team RB with jet power.
I thought he had a superb game! Power, pace, drove down the right side numerous times.

I thought he had a superb game! Power, pace, drove down the right side numerous times.

The issue for me is that when he gets into good positions he doesn't find anyone in the box. He generally just cuts back and passes backwards or sideways. Compare that to Mendy when he has been fit and his ability to get a dangerous ball in, or Zinchenko who has the technique to find a quality through ball and it shows his weaknesses. He is all pace and little else. Danilo is far better at creating chances and a better defender but our options are still thin.

We need him to charge forwards and then make the most of that space he gets into. If I was a left back against him I wouldn't be too worried with him getting past me, I would just block off his pass knowing he is unlikely to be able to find anyone in the box.

The issue for me is that when he gets into good positions he doesn't find anyone in the box. He generally just cuts back and passes backwards or sideways. Compare that to Mendy when he has been fit and his ability to get a dangerous ball in, or Zinchenko who has the technique to find a quality through ball and it shows his weaknesses. He is all pace and little else. Danilo is far better at creating chances and a better defender but our options are still thin.

We need him to charge forwards and then make the most of that space he gets into. If I was a left back against him I wouldn't be too worried with him getting past me, I would just block off his pass knowing he is unlikely to be able to find anyone in the box.

I don't entirely disagree, but Mendy hasn't been fit and Zinchenko is technically better but you are only looking at a small sample size. Walker's pace is more important in recovery. Yes, he has at times looked knackered after little time for a break post WC but there are few better options in his position.

I don't entirely disagree, but Mendy hasn't been fit and Zinchenko is technically better but you are only looking at a small sample size. Walker's pace is more important in recovery. Yes, he has at times looked knackered after little time for a break post WC but there are few better options in his position.
You are right, we are looking at relatively small sample sizes (this season, premier league and champions league) but I do think it is reasonable to say that Mendy and Zinchenko are both better in attack than Walker.

Player - Mins - Goals - Assists - Key Passes PG
Mendy - 900 - 0 - 5 - 1.4
Zinchenko - 931 - 1 - 5 - 0.9
Walker - 2644 - 1 - 1 - 0.4

Mins Per Goal/Assist
Mendy - 180 (every 2 games)
Zinchenko - 155 (less than every 2 games)
Walker - 1322 (more than every 14 games)

Last edited:

He’s starting to motor at just the right time for me, having had a poor few months.. regardless of end product, he is looking solid again, and that’s the fundamentals of what we want... make no mistake, when he’s tight, we lose very little ground on his flank. He looks strong as an ox again, which is what we’ll need in the home straight!

I really like Walker - on defense. Very quick. Enthusiastic. Great team player. And when in the wrong position defensively - can usually recover due to blistering pace.

But...

He's never going to be the best right back in the world. He's not perfect in defensive positioning - and his skill on the ball is good but not world class.

And yet... absent some sort of world class RB signing (not sure who that would be) - he's more than able to start for our side. He's had a bit of a downturn in form this season - but I still back him. I'm never dissatisfied when his name appears on the starting team-sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.