La Palma Volcano

Day 33 now and no signs this is slowing down. In fact it looks like it's ready for something.
Experts warn that earthquakes of 6.0 magnitude are now likely.
Lots of villages have been evacuated and the lava continues to make a path to the ocean (which is pretty spectacular to see I have to admit).
Anyone on here knowledgeable with stuff like this?
Just wondering if any possible land slip/collapse could have a detrimental effect on those countries closer.
They say 6.0are now possible, that doesn't mean likely. You need to check your sources :)

To be fair, humans tens of thousands of years ago would probably piss themselves at the thought that people would ever live at the foot of a volcano. Humans might have moved on in many ways, but we don’t half fo some stupid fucking stuff!
It’s been happening for thousands of years. The sediments, thermal activity and geology of the land around volcanoes provides rich and fertile land which makes them an easy yield for crops.

It’s been happening for thousands of years. The sediments, thermal activity and geology of the land around volcanoes provides rich and fertile land which makes them an easy yield for crops.
not only that, but people have lived at the base of volcanoes for millennia. It allowed them to worship their gods efficiently too.

Day 33 now and no signs this is slowing down. In fact it looks like it's ready for something.
Experts warn that earthquakes of 6.0 magnitude are now likely.
Lots of villages have been evacuated and the lava continues to make a path to the ocean (which is pretty spectacular to see I have to admit).
Anyone on here knowledgeable with stuff like this?
Just wondering if any possible land slip/collapse could have a detrimental effect on those countries closer.
I've done a course in volcanology but I don't understand your question.

Land slip occurred at Mt St Helens which contributed to an eruption but I think the La Palma eruptions are not so silica rich and therefore the magma is less viscous and less prone to explosive eruptions.

I've done a course in volcanology but I don't understand your question.

Land slip occurred at Mt St Helens which contributed to an eruption but I think the La Palma eruptions are not so silica rich and therefore the magma is less viscous and less prone to explosive eruptions.
They're basalt eruptions, so less explosive, but tend to be longer-lasting. Mum was asking, I assume, to find out how likely a landslide is, based on the worst-case scenario paper that is now around 20 years old, and how likely a tsunami is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.