Lacking Leadership

I don't think we necessarily need a traditional 'leader' on the pitch (I mean, we need a defender who can command the backline i.e. Laporte, but we don't necessarily need someone to point and shout at people). This team did incredible things without Vinny playing, and we had underwhelming seasons like this even when Vinny was around too. I do think we need a leader in the dressing room - the two most vocal ones were Delph and Vinny and we lost them both at once, and they've left behind a squad that's largely in the same age range with no clear leadership hierarchy outside of Silva (not vocal), Fernandinho, and Kevin (shy off the pitch). Sam Lee has said that Walker's tried to fill in a bit more in the dressing room and while I'm sure he's got valuable things to say and is well respected within the team, it's not the type of thing you can force - it has to come naturally. Whether someone like Kevin or Rodri can grow into that role or whether it will have to be a new signing, I don't know.

What I do know, however, is that we simply cannot keep looking backwards for our answers (this isn't exactly a direct response to this post, but a response to general comments I've been seeing recently). We're undergoing a transitional period and we need to deal with the growing pains. It's time to cut the chord and accept that the older players are being/will be phased out. Cries for Fernandinho to play in midfield, for example, highlight this fanbase's reliance on the old guard - we cannot depend on a 34 year old to save us. His replacement is here and he needs minutes to get settled, and nobody even knows if Dinho is physically capable of running around in midfield, especially considering how injury prone he became in the first half of the year.

We can't keep going back to the old to help us with the future. The way people bang on about it you'd think the only solution is to have Vinny skype in for every team talk and to play audio recordings of Joe Hart shouting encouragement to the players on loud speakers as they walk down the tunnel. Players will become better leaders with age/experience - unfortunately that takes time. It's not easy when so many joined the club at the same time and are fairly young. All that being said, I do think having someone like Zaba back around the place would be pretty beneficial, and I hope he comes back if he's ready to retire at the end of the season. As I said, the problem isn't necessarily on-pitch leadership; it's a lack of confidence, and that stems from the dressing room, and having someone like that around the place could help.

If I was a young Foden or EDS graduate on that field, I'd be yelling positively at every bloody player and showing them how much it matters. Obviously a degree of calmness is needed but nothing says passion like a voice, a clear and loud voice on the field. Age and experience are on our side in many ways but youth, they're the future and they need to make an impact. Too many laid back looking players and too many social media loving players these days. Blood, guts and determiniation may be seen as old-fashioned but for fans, that's what we want, passion and buckets of it, on and off the field.

Not sure I made an actual point, but why break the habit of a lifetime?!

If we are going by example on the pitch then it has to kdb

Whether he is vocal in the dressing room enough i could not answer

And that’s just the problem. We need a leader at the back who can command the game if needed.

I love KDB. But he’s a “give me the last 2/3 of the pitch to work with and I will deliver” player.

He is too preoccupied with Ota, Walker, others fucking it up to play his game right now.

We are so out of balance.

And that’s just the problem. We need a leader at the back who can command the game if needed.

I love KDB. But he’s a “give me the last 2/3 of the pitch to work with and I will deliver” player.

He is too preoccupied with Ota, Walker, others fucking it up to play his game right now.

We are so out of balance.

Agree. Hence why we were totally naive to think not buying a quality cb was needed after losing a talisman and club legend in Vinny

Was this down to oversea numbers being met, i have read this was why. But one thing is for sure they best get it right this summer

I was hoping our natural leader would be Stones. I'm still hoping, but first he needs to keep fit and find good form and consistency when he plays. Time won't wait too long for him though, especially at this level. Could be his last season unless he has a solid run of form till the end of the season.

Get it together Stoney lad.

The world has moved on. Who is Liverpool’s hard man?
Our intensity has dropped and we are carrying too many players who continue to make mistakes.
Van Dyke. Doesn't need to be a "hard man". Imposing and commanding are two virtues missing in our central defence right now.

If only he hadn't been mesmerized by those big German gnashers telling him Liverpool was best for him: /

I actually think having a weak back four effects the confidence of the whole team. It’s as though they know that we will concede at least a goal or two no matter how we play.

I think having Laporte back will help but only a complete overhaul will solve the issue. Take a look at those first PL title winning teams....fuck me we were good....and supremely confident.

I think having Laporte back will help but only a complete overhaul will solve the issue. Take a look at those first PL title winning teams....fuck me we were good....and supremely confident.
A fully fit Laporte will help but what if he's not the same player when he returns?

I also disagree that "a complete overall will solve the issue". It may well do but it is no instant fix with new players needing to bed in. I hope we don't go throwing money about like confetti without giving Garcia and Hardwood-Bellies a proper chance to shine. Our youngsters need a chance at a high level and now the league has gone I'm hoping they get their chance in league games this season. Hoping to see more of Foden and would be good to see Tommy Doyle get a chance, possibly in the Port Vale game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.