Lacking Leadership

I actually think having a weak back four effects the confidence of the whole team. It’s as though they know that we will concede at least a goal or two no matter how we play.

I think having Laporte back will help but only a complete overhaul will solve the issue. Take a look at those first PL title winning teams....fuck me we were good....and supremely confident.

The press was harder and we were not as vulnerable on the break or when we lost possession in our half as we were last night leading to all three goals.

Don't buy the notion that we lack leaders. In fact, we have plenty of them - we're definitely not Arsenal. Did we say the same thing in Pellers' final year, or Pep's first, when we were playing similarly? Don't think so.

Don't buy the notion that we lack leaders. In fact, we have plenty of them - we're definitely not Arsenal. Did we say the same thing in Pellers' final year, or Pep's first, when we were playing similarly? Don't think so.

The lack of leadership in Pellegrini's final season stemmed from him...he had completely taken his bat home and he was just going through the motions. That obviously transmitted to the team as if the manager doesn't give a shit then the players generally won't either. Everyone had to accept that in Peps first season he needed to introduce his methods and mentality so he basically had a free pass.

So unless Pep has given up this season you would have to say the players seem half arsed and not one of them is showing leadership qualities. I have to say though that Rodri seemed to be showing signs of wanting to lead last night both in terms of how he showed for the ball and also how vocal he was.

I have always been a fan of Merlin but making him captain was a decision I still cannot get my head around. We need a lion.

Whilst I can see your point, let's not forget Vinnie missed massive chunks of The last few seasons and we were still brilliant.
But he was still involved in the dressing room every single game his presence alone we are missing. He always played every big game and played the run in to win the title because Pep doesnt trust Otamendi or Stones.

I think this is rubbish and an insult really to an outstanding group of players.

Sterling still has self-doubt so he can do the difficult by instinct and then miss when he thinks about it. Mendy had a moment of madness, Ederson makes an error of judgment. But none of those things are about leadership. In my opinion our weakest player at the moment is Otamendi and yet he plays with huge heart and character.

No one lacks for leadership at Manchester City. This is a team that has won anything. We're struggling in one position and its affecting the whole group. That's not leadership it's just injury and City fans are searching for explanations when the most obvious explanation is that Laporte is injured and we don't have a central defender capable of stepping in for him.

I have always been a fan of Merlin but making him captain was a decision I still cannot get my head around. We need a lion.
That's to misjudge this group and what captaincy is. You don't need to be an Andy Morrison.

I did think that collectively at 2-0 our concentration went but that's a group thing. Had the title been there we wouldn't have eased off.

I wish blues would stop bemoaning the lack of Vinnie inspired leadership because we are reinventing history by doing it. Someone needs to say it.

But I think we underestimate what a big leader he was , this is our first season without him and we seem like a ship without a rudder.
When most of these players arrived Vinny was already here and the leader , to bring through a leader from a group isnt easy , it's never easy getting promotion at work within your group of work mates that's why its normally someone from outside.
KDB looks like a leader but do the whole squad think the same some might think say Sterling?
Something doesnt seem right with the squad this season

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.