Lancashire CCC

meeesh said:
Really poor season this has been yea,so many inconsistent batting performances,but without Anderson and dare I say Flintoff we were always going to struggle at the bowling end !!

Am looking to Chanderpaul to score quite a few runs though between now and end of season,starting in tomorrows match down in Kent.

Will 120 do? 50 from Cross too, looks like he's taking his opportunity.

While I agree that it's been a disappointing season so far, the ridiculous thing is that Lancashire could still conceivably win the County Championship.

If it continues to rain at Taunton, Somerset will only end up drawing their game. Yorkshire have no chance of getting a win against Hampshire at Scarborough. However, Lancs still have a chance of winning at leaders Notts. Even a draw wouldn't be a disaster, because there will still be 3 games left for both Notts and Lancs whereas Yorkshire and Somerset will only have 2. 2 of Lancs' last 3 games are against the top 2 - away to Somerset and home to Notts so at least we can influence what those 2 teams do.

I know it's probably wishful thinking on my part because a lot of things need to happen - getting a win at Somerset isn't easy, especially as they score runs for fun down there - but you never know, we could be looking at the season finale against Notts being a direct shoot-out for the title ;)

M18CTID said:
While I agree that it's been a disappointing season so far, the ridiculous thing is that Lancashire could still conceivably win the County Championship.

If it continues to rain at Taunton, Somerset will only end up drawing their game. Yorkshire have no chance of getting a win against Hampshire at Scarborough. However, Lancs still have a chance of winning at leaders Notts. Even a draw wouldn't be a disaster, because there will still be 3 games left for both Notts and Lancs whereas Yorkshire and Somerset will only have 2. 2 of Lancs' last 3 games are against the top 2 - away to Somerset and home to Notts so at least we can influence what those 2 teams do.

I know it's probably wishful thinking on my part because a lot of things need to happen - getting a win at Somerset isn't easy, especially as they score runs for fun down there - but you never know, we could be looking at the season finale against Notts being a direct shoot-out for the title ;)
I love your optimism, but I think that last-day thriller at The Oval a couple of years back is as close as we will get for many more years. We have taken some huge backward steps since then.

Yet another collapse has let us down. We should of easily got 400 and maximum batting points but we didnt. That would of put extra pressure on Notts to score quickl to force a result.

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread and this has probably been mentioned already - but they were fucking stupid to get rid of Cork.

Still taking plenty of wickets at 4-day and one-day for Hants.

I wouldnt of minded if we had got a replacement for him but they didnt get 1. They cant say Powell was the replacement because hes a joke. Moores is clueless, just like Hughes was, the soooner hes gone the better imo and we need to bring in around 5 players if we are going to win anything soon. We need a very good bowler to open, then a 3rd or 4th bowler and then 3 batsmen, obviously 1 of them will most likely be overseas so that leaves 2 to find from other counties

It is batsmen we need.

Declared too early today it seems, Notts have won the CC and Lanky back on for a relegation scrap.

Luke Sutton has left the club.

I don't want Sidebottom. A 3 year contract for someone of his age and injury record would be madness as far as I'm concerned. If we have to bring in players from other counties we need to go for ones who are young and hungry to progress (as Surrey did last winter with Davies).

I've been meaning to contribute on this thread as I think it's a really interesting debate. As a Surrey fan I can kind of draw parallels to Pakistan over where we are at at the moment, although Pakistan are obviously stronger with more potential lol.

My problem with Surrey is that for years we relied on our established, experienced stars like Thorpe, Butcher, Ramprakash(still around somehow), Hollioake and Stewart, and we didn't have anybody to replace them. Therefore we plummeted, the young guys either not good enough or average players from other counties coming in instead, our policy of letting youngsters go to only buy them back is a good example of our woeful management, Hamilton-Brown just being an example.

The best signing we've made in years is Steven Davies, and hopefully we can build on that. We still lack centurions in our batting line-up, basically if Ramprakash doesn't score a ton we barely get a result. Our bowlers can't bowl anyone out, we don't have a great spinner and Nel, Tremlett and Dernbach can't take 10 wickets between them. Don't see evidence of a hotbed of young talent coming through, which for the richest county is bad, and our overseas players have been nothing short of useless. Inconsistancy is our strong point, and we're a long way from being 1st Division material.

My comparison with Pakistan is they have great potential in Aamir, but they don't have the new Inzimam, Yousuf or Younis to strengthen their batting, though they are showing potential.

KP's poor form is amusing, as he could end up at Surrey, which would show what is wrong with our county's policy, because he is a fantastic player, but won't play regularly for us, so what's the point?

I see a lack of great english born players coming through, as shown by the number of South Africans hanging round the England setup. It's something that needs to be addressed as although England have been doing well, it's going to hurt us down the line. Why not implement constructive changes to the domestic game now whilst the national side is strong rather than waiting like Surrey till we're shit to try and do something, which is not really working anyway.

The ego's at the top of each section are preventing us having a great domestic game. Far too much 20/20, 4 day games with our conditions in this country don't allow many results, and 40 overs is not played at international level. For me the County Championship should trial 5 day games in the top division, with there being 3 divisions of 6 teams, playing each other 3 times a season, with games finishing on a saturday, with a 50 over league competition with the same format as the County setup, except the top team from each division plus the best loser goes to semi-finals, with the top 2 points scoring teams getting a home draw, with a final at Lord's, and that would be played most sundays. I would then revert the 20/20 competition back into its original format, as it was way too long this year, and that would be played midweek.

I'd also say at least 2, maybe 3 players under the age of 21 must be in each county's team, from the county's own academy. Don't know what you think of that but something along those lines could work. Sky should also show at least the final day of 1 County Championship match every week, or have a red button option during test matches to watch one.

I think the County Championship setup needs a revamp and am just hoping Surrey improve next year, and don't sign guys like Sidebottom who are going to be past it in 3 years. I know I'll be probably lynched on here for being a Surrey fan though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.