Lancashire CCC

Bluemoonie92 said:
Ell-ano said:
apparently Bumble has said Lancs v Middlesex will be live on sky?

Yeah he said that on twitter earlier, cant see it being good viewing tbh. khawaja has gone home and jimmy cant play, ill be happy if we can finally get a good first innings total
In a way I hope we get relegated so that we can rebuild again, just hoping to see some hopeful young players against Middlesex, Clark and Bailey etc.

I'd give youth a go, Hameed who has been scoring for fun in the 2nds this year and also for England u19s, might only be 17/18 but i'd get him in and give him a go. Livingstone is coming off a double for the 2nds so he could possibly be chucked in but bowling wise we are going to struggle. No Jimmy, Smith might not play after getting injured last week so that only leaves us with Chapple, Procter, Bailey and Jarvis which for me isnt strong enough attack to bowl them out twice. Its in our own hands but it wouldnt be that bad if we did get relegated because this team isnt a division 1 team, we need to rebuild and play youth but in division 1 you'd be reluctant to do so.

I think it's a about time they had a rethink on this whole first and second division thing.

I can see how it looked a good idea in theory but in practice it hasn't really made much difference in my opinion.

The difference in standard between the two divisions is often negligible. I don't think players are that bothered if they were lookng to join a new team, which division they are in. And I doubt stuff like sponsorship and revenue change much if at all if a team is relegated.

I have no answers mind. The sad truth is, nobody but a few pensioners with fuck all else to do have been interested in county cricket for a long time and I doubt that trend is reversible no matter what they come up with.

tidyman said:
I think it's a about time they had a rethink on this whole first and second division thing.

I can see how it looked a good idea in theory but in practice it hasn't really made much difference in my opinion.

The difference in standard between the two divisions is often negligible. I don't think players are that bothered if they were lookng to join a new team, which division they are in. And I doubt stuff like sponsorship and revenue change much if at all if a team is relegated.

I have no answers mind. The sad truth is, nobody but a few pensioners with fuck all else to do have been interested in county cricket for a long time and I doubt that trend is reversible no matter what they come up with.

I disagree with that quite a lot. The gap is getting bigger, look how much Lancs and Northants have struggled this year. For the overseas guys and Kolpaks I don't think they mind too much where they play as long as the paycheck keeps coming but the players who want to play for England regularly move to a bigger county to try and fulfill that.

without a dream said:
tidyman said:

I disagree with that quite a lot. The gap is getting bigger, look how much Lancs and Northants have struggled this year. For the overseas guys and Kolpaks I don't think they mind too much where they play as long as the paycheck keeps coming but the players who want to play for England regularly move to a bigger county to try and fulfill that.

Fair enough but my point is there is no real established order of who the bigger clubs are that you can compare to other sports that have more than one division.

Clubs can be a bag of shite one season, sign a decent overseas player and an odd Kolpak and quite easily go from the worst to the best in one season.

For example, if an ambitious player was looking to move to a bigger club for next season, I doubt they would have any qualms about joining Lancs because they are acknowledged as a big club. I'm assuming we're going to be relegated by then in that scenario.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
I've thought for a while that 3 divisions of 6, with 5 day games is a better way forward. More competitive, less chance of a draw and a more flexible calendar.

Trouble with that is all the days you're wasting when games are over in four, three and even two days.

Test cricket should be the only games over five days in my opinion.

tidyman said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
I've thought for a while that 3 divisions of 6, with 5 day games is a better way forward. More competitive, less chance of a draw and a more flexible calendar.

Trouble with that is all the days you're wasting when games are over in four, three and even two days.

you get far more games than end up in draws due to rain delays, a reserve 5th day would be ideal, plus it challenges county players in the 5-day format which is a positive imo.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
tidyman said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

you get far more games than end up in draws due to rain delays, a reserve 5th day would be ideal, plus it challenges county players in the 5-day format which is a positive imo.

There is no room for reserve days now. There are far more result games these days than we used to get, not to mention when it was 3 days.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
tidyman said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

Yeah but if it's a rainy week, chances are the fifth day is gonna be rainy to.

The amount of cricket days the weather allows in this country are few enough as it is without wasting them on reserve days that mainly won't be used.

And my main point is that test cricket is special because it's different from what is played at any other time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.