Laptop and replacement parts and SSD upgrade

60 quid to install it? Just take the bottom off and swap the hdd with the ssd. The connectors and dimensions are the same for a 2.5inch hdd (what is in it currently) as ssd. Yes it will help speed your lappy up significantly.
Not quite that straightforward. You need to either clone the existing HDD or back up the existing files and do a clean install on the new SSD.

If you aren't confident in doing that then it's best to get some help.

Not quite that straightforward. You need to either clone the existing HDD or back up the existing files and do a clean install on the new SSD.

Knowing the size of the mechanical hard drive he has now would help too, or at least how much of the drive he is using at present. Many people have 500gb hard drives but barely touch the drive using only a little of it.

If it needs a new battery and a charger I would be surprised, it's usually one or the other that goes not both, my hunch is that it's the battery because as someone mentioned upthread many casual computer users leave the charger plugged in when they use it and it can kill a battery.

@TCIB is technically correct in that you can get an SSD cheap now and it is more than likely just a question of a straight swap for the mechanical drive but as you say you need to be a little bit conversant with hardware and software to either do a clean install or clone.

The longshot is that it's not worth spending the estimated £150 doing an older laptop up when you can buy a fully functioning 2nd hand one for less than that off gumtree of Facebook Marketplace.

i rebooted plenty of dead laptops which ran on windows ....it just burns them out and by default kills itself within time.

those same pc s were rebooted with linex and work better than they did when brand new. it s windows that needs replacing dude!

SSD will boost the speed and is worth doing. Maybe also adding some memory, depending on how much is being used.

A switch to Linux is something I would do, though it sounds like you'd need a lot of help with that,

Bottom line - cheap and easy enough to do if you have the skills, maybe not worth the bother if you don't.

A new Chromebook is £200.

Just backup important stuff to a usb drive first and google drive. If he has no technical knowledge at all though i can see why he may use such a service. If he buys a samsung he can use the samsung data maigration tool.

Last edited:
waste of money, 6 year old laptop
new laptop for less than 200 and, it will be better with the advancement of tech, in the last 6 years, than what you propose.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.