Laptop DVD-RAM Drive

bjones371

This is for the more technically minded amongst bluemooners I'm afraid but i thought it was worth a try on here seeing as no-one else can help!

My laptop is fitted with a DVD-RAM multi-format drive that plays and copies all formats of dvd available at the minute (except the HD and Blu-Ray formats obviously) but it doesn't do anything at all with CDs, it just makes a sound where you can hear the CD spinning then it stops spinning and starts again, then stops, and starts again etcetc

This carries on until i decide I've had enough and take out the CD. Like i said DVDs are fine so i don't know if it's a drive fault or something else.

Any help would be fantastic, cheers and hope you all had a good christmas

It wont do either mate, data or audio cds cant be read or wrote to but it plays dvd movies and dvd data discs fine and can copy to dvds fine aswell

Right. Weird as all dvd players can read cd's i thought. I assume you've tried a few cd's etc? All the software that came with the laptop installed, drivers etc etc?

Yeah thats what i thought plus it has "CD Recordable" wrote on the drive itself so i think it should be able to play them from that info lol.

Yep it's brand new, only got it this morning, still in the security sealed box and everything

All programs closed? I know on my laptop that sometimes if i have a dvd player/recorder program open it can sometimes just totally ignore cd's unless i close the programs!

I'm stumped. All i could really suggest is consulting both the manual and the help section of windows, it could well be something absolutely tiny that you've overlooked/not done etc?

Sorry mate, I'm sure one of the computer genuises will help asap tho :)

Me too, just tried your theory and afraid to say it didn't work but thanks anyway, worth a shot mate lol

so anyone else out there with any ideas lol

Sounds like a drive fault mate, some drives use two seperate lasers, one for c one for dvd, my old playstaion went the same way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.