Laptop failing to start up

ell

Alright guys first of all I am definately TechNo so might struggle to explain my problem!

Ive got a 12month old Acer Aspire laptop, it worked fine on thursday night yet on friday it wouldnt start up correctly and said "loading files" then "checking for problems" It gave me a few options such as system restore/factory default etc but not having a clue what to do I turned it off and left it.

On Sunday it took an absolute age (5-10mins) but eventually started up so I ran a scan which showed no problems and it worked fine. Went to use it on Monday and ever since everytime I have tried to log in it gets stuck on "Welcome" and that loading circle. Left it for about 30 minutes with no progress.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.

ell said:
Alright guys first of all I am definately TechNo so might struggle to explain my problem!

Ive got a 12month old Acer Aspire laptop, it worked fine on thursday night yet on friday it wouldnt start up correctly and said "loading files" then "checking for problems" It gave me a few options such as system restore/factory default etc but not having a clue what to do I turned it off and left it.

On Sunday it took an absolute age (5-10mins) but eventually started up so I ran a scan which showed no problems and it worked fine. Went to use it on Monday and ever since everytime I have tried to log in it gets stuck on "Welcome" and that loading circle. Left it for about 30 minutes with no progress.

Is your hard drive full?

Go to my computer, find out whether you have a second drive.

If so, shift a ton of stuff onto that and defragment.

ell said:

Does it beep at all when you switch it on? If so how many times does it beep?

It could be anything from a windows error to your hard drive or video card failing. As somebody else stated above, I'd try reinstalling windows from the boot disc first, failing that it's time to look at removing the hard drive to see if it's visible when connected to another device to possibly reflowing the motherboard and/or replacing the video adapter.

Providing the HDD hasn't totally failed you'll be able to get your data off it.

Thanks for the replies. Will try your suggestions when I can (although going to City straight from work).

Not sure if its any help but I created a new user last night and it let me log on, although it was really slow. And then when I went to shut it down it wouldnt and stayed on the shut down screen (its not frozen though as the ring keeps swirling and mouse works)

It does beep when I switch it on but Ive not actually counted how many beeps.

Cheers

ell said:
Thanks for the replies. Will try your suggestions when I can (although going to City straight from work).

Not sure if its any help but I created a new user last night and it let me log on, although it was really slow. And then when I went to shut it down it wouldnt and stayed on the shut down screen (its not frozen though as the ring keeps swirling and mouse works)

It does beep when I switch it on but Ive not actually counted how many beeps.

Cheers

The number of beeps aren't random, it's a diagnostic tool for letting you know where the fault lies. That'll give you a good idea of what needs to be done and what cost to get it working again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.