Laptop for photo editing and WFH

Tricky_Trev

My current laptop is on its last legs so looking to get a new one for working from home and for running photography software (Lightroom, Photoshop etc). Can the more technically gifted among us please advise how much I realistically need to spend? Or even recommend a specific model for my needs?

I went into this thinking £500 would do it but the more I read the more articles seem to convince me I need to spend the best part of £1000!? Is that really necessary?

I guess ideally I need a dedicated GPU for the editing software? At least 8GB RAM? At least i5 processor? Maybe at least 256GB SSD? At least Full HD screen for viewing photos. All these are just my assumptions on the spec, but feel free to correct me. I find the choice available to be overwhelming.

Don't go for anything less than a core i7 processor.

Macbook Pro. 2019 the dog's. Coinage of £1400 bit off-putting though.
So I guess what you’re saying is that I do need to spend in the region of £1000 to efficiently run Lightroom and Photoshop? I have thousands and thousands of photos and will no doubt take many more thousands.

Never had a Mac before, so I am leaning towards windows to be honest. But could be convinced if they really are worth it.

Another consideration, ideally I need at the very least a 15.6” screen as editing on a tiny screen is not ideal. And I’m not arsed about weight as I won’t be taking it anywhere. Home use only.

So I guess what you’re saying is that I do need to spend in the region of £1000 to efficiently run Lightroom and Photoshop? I have thousands and thousands of photos and will no doubt take many more thousands.

Never had a Mac before, so I am leaning towards windows to be honest. But could be convinced if they really are worth it.

Another consideration, ideally I need at the very least a 15.6” screen as editing on a tiny screen is not ideal.
Don't let the apple wankers suck you in mate or you'll end up full wanker with the phone,watch, tablet and everything a pc can do for double the price.

Another consideration, ideally I need at the very least a 15.6” screen as editing on a tiny screen is not ideal. And I’m not arsed about weight as I won’t be taking it anywhere. Home use only.

If you're after performance and value over portability, maybe consider a desktop? They're pretty small anyway these days, easy to upgrade and you can get whatever size.screen you want.

If you're after performance and value over portability, maybe consider a desktop? They're pretty small anyway these days, easy to upgrade and you can get whatever size.screen you want.
Yeah fair point, makes sense. I would have to have a think about how I set up a makeshift desk though as I have a small house, not much space for it. Would have to convince the mrs that we need a desktop on the table in the kitchen/diner!

Desktops are much more powerful performance wise and upgrade wise, most integrated graphics now would easily shift any photoshop task with ease (You'd stick in 16 gig of ram to ensure that) if you don't want RGB lights and go for the austere look a half decent ITX build can come in for £400.

Portability costs but if you do want that power without paying the silly prices then good second hand is the way to go, personally I would never buy a laptop new.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.