Laptop or tablet?

willipp

After some help please. I'm Thinking of getting the wife a new tablet (possibly a samsung) with a keyboard as well for xmas. She currently has has a really old laptop that she uses for excel, bit of work etc but mainly doing all the household finances. I was wondering if anyone has used a tablet with office on it and in particular excel?

I know she would prefer a tablet overall if it does office on it as she would use for browsing, excel, social media crap etc. I just don't want to go down that route if the office options are a bit naff. Looking for something i can just transfer spreadsheets onto so she can carry on using those and then mainly use it for browsing.

Happy to spend up to 3/400 quid if thats whats needed.

Thanks in advance.

Google Sheets is fine for spreadsheet use if just doing home finances etc. Basedon the budget quoted have a look at the higher end Samsung tablets (Tab S4 and above), and a Bluetooth keyboard.

You can get Windows 10 tablets so no problem with getting Excel to work. The Surface Go is only £350 although I don't know much about it. I can see it only runs a limited version of Windows 10 so you can only install apps from the Store, you might prefer one with more flexibility and it looks like you need an adapter to connect from USB-C to a monitor (£20 max), which you might need occasionally as the screen is only 10".

I bought an ASUS Transformer Pro (12" screen) about 2yrs ago for £900 and I find the options of using it as a tablet up to connecting it to a monitor or TV really useful. That one can switch between tablet mode (like a phone screen) or Windows 10 mode.

I use Excel a lot. Although it will work on a tablet, I find it vastly inferior to laptop and mouse. Far too fiddly.

To be fair, though, I haven’t tried a keyboard with my iPad. The keyboard may make all the difference.

I use Excel a lot. Although it will work on a tablet, I find it vastly inferior to laptop and mouse. Far too fiddly.

To be fair, though, I haven’t tried a keyboard with my iPad. The keyboard may make all the difference.
Oh god yeah, you need a mouse and keyboard if using Excel much.

Chromebook would seem to be ideal. Battery life is better, and TBH, Windows isn't all that for most people. They are cheap compared to x64 Windows devices, you can get Office from the Play Store, basic version is free, or a full blown Office 365 subscription with cloud storage and all sorts for £7 a month.

Simple spec, decent 14" screen, emphasis on good build quality for the money;

Bit posh and modern;

Loads others available.

Chromebook would seem to be ideal. Battery life is better, and TBH, Windows isn't all that for most people. They are cheap compared to x64 Windows devices, you can get Office from the Play Store, basic version is free, or a full blown Office 365 subscription with cloud storage and all sorts for £7 a month.

Also less of a chance to get viruses. All data stored in the Cloud ie Google Drive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.