Laptop running slowly - Virus

Malcontent

My son's laptop seems to have been infected with viruses and spyware software and is running very slowly as a result, it even hangs when scanning the laptop with anti-virus mcafee software. I am thinking of removing some programs to free up some space and hopefully this will enable the anti-virus software to do a full scan.
Any useful ideas would be welcomed.

If there is a lot, and its running stupidly slow; i.e takes a while for even folder to open. Then I'd advise that if possible you wipe the whole thing clean, put your restore disk and let it work its magic. Thats my advice anyway mate.

Ive never used macafee but see if it will allow a boottime scan, ie before windows or the virus can start.

Mcafee used to have the option to scan your system as it was booting but if I remember correct it was disabled as too many poeple complained it was slowing down their system boot time.

Also what specs does this laptop have? Is it running XP? Updated to SP2 recently? SP2 really slowed down my wifes laptop. She ended up removing windows and using an alternative, runs a treat now.

SP2 hammered my old PC aswell, needs a PC/Notebook alot more powerful than the spec Microsoft gives to handle it well enough to still be able to actually use the laptop

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.