Laptops

Ireland Haroo said:
Alienware.

I'd love one of them - bit on the expensive side?! HP's are pretty stable, I've had one the past two laptops. Not too pricey either.

bluegorton said:
Skashion said:
C'mon then, let's hear your reasoning, being such a definitive answer.

I've limited knowledge but some experience and with the mac you don't spend half your life defragging, compressing, checking your anti-virus software...mind you I could be being hacked as we speak.
That's an argument for not using Windows rather using a Mac which is a hardware-based solution for running an alternative operating system.

I've been tempted to whack Linux on my machine, but I'm pretty positive I'll cock it up. Anyone here use it often? Any compatibility issues with emailing documents?

a few weeks ago i bought this:
<a class="postlink" href="http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-3008.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-3008.aspx</a>

very happy with it. i think its great value for money - for example not only do you get 4gb of ram but its ddr3 ram rather than the ddr2 ram you get in most similar priced laptops. the processor is actually quite decent as well. it felt no strain at all the other day when i was downloading then creating and burning a dvd while watching another film at the same time.

boots up in about 30 seconds. only issue for me is that the bundled software you only get a trial version of office which is a bit stingy.

not tried many games on it yet but i did play medieval: total war on it last sunday. i know its an old game but back in the day my old desktops would really struggle. no problems this time and i could even tab between game and browsing without any hangups.

Lekos said:
I've been tempted to whack Linux on my machine, but I'm pretty positive I'll cock it up. Anyone here use it often? Any compatibility issues with emailing documents?
I've been running Linux for about four years as a secondary OS on the desktop and primary OS for netbooks/laptops. I wouldn't be concerned about cocking up to be honest. If you've ever installed Windows, you'll be absolutely fine. Have you ever tried a Wubi install?

Can't answer your email question because I use webmail exclusively. Thunderbird is available for Linux though. Outlook definitely doesn't work I'm afraid. Give Wubi a go first if you haven't already. That might answer some of your queries.

DirtyEddie said:
a few weeks ago i bought this:
<a class="postlink" href="http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-3008.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-3008.aspx</a>

very happy with it. i think its great value for money - for example not only do you get 4gb of ram but its ddr3 ram rather than the ddr2 ram you get in most similar priced laptops. the processor is actually quite decent as well. it felt no strain at all the other day when i was downloading then creating and burning a dvd while watching another film at the same time.

boots up in about 30 seconds. only issue for me is that the bundled software you only get a trial version of office which is a bit stingy.

not tried many games on it yet but i did play medieval: total war on it last sunday. i know its an old game but back in the day my old desktops would really struggle. no problems this time and i could even tab between game and browsing without any hangups.

I've got an L350 which I presume is the forerunner of that, not let me down, beautiful screen on it too.

i have ubuntu on my desktop, im very happy with it. in fact i cant think of any issues at all. perhaps the only thing is graphics card support which can make it a nightmare trying to run any games on it (using wine).

wasw going to put it on this laptop but im actually quite impressed with windows 7 so probably wont bother... for now.

I've got 7 on mine. Used to play a lot of Football Manager, only between '94 and 2009 though(!). Though I don't really play any games anymore it's always nice to have the option for these things.

Presumably documents made on the Linx version of Word & Excel open fine in Windows? It's probably a project for when I get a new machine.

Wouldn't OpenOffice work for Linux? Sure you get it with some installs of Linux based OS

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.