Laser eye surgery

Manchester_lalala

Considering getting this done, well actually on the verge on commiting to it. I've got one worry about it though, I get severe eye strain when looking at tv's, my iPhone, computers and even headlights when it's dark at night. The consultant yesterday said my glare problems would be sorted out, but she is basically like a sales woman, she is going to say that. Looking at information online shows me that the treatment only improves your eye sight, doesn't say anything about fixing glare problems. I don't want to be the knob who had laser eye surgery yet still wears glasses.

Anybody had it done with similar problems to me?

Braver than me mate

My wife works at an opthalmic hospital, over the years Ive got to know the surgeons there, nearly every one of them wears glasses, as far as my missus knows, none of them has had lasik eye surgery.......that tells me something, not enough is known on long term effects.

Bill Glasson, ophthalmic surgeon, works there, he was head of the Australian Medical Assoc, very very clever guy, wears glasses, here he is;

[bigimg]http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200803/r233952_938389.jpg[/bigimg]

I got to the day of surgery and sat in front of the surgeon who told me that only one eye needed doing and i wouldn't gain that much so if i wanted to wait until they are both worse than he would be ok with that, so i didn't have it done
There are different types of correction and there is one that makes glare much worse especially at night.If they haven't given you a consent form then ask for one,it's several pages long but will tell you the risks of each type of correction so you can weigh up if it's worth it or not
The optician who did all the tests and scans gave me all the pro's and no many of the cons but the surgeon was very honest whch i appreciated and will go back when i feel it will be worth it
Most people i know who have had it done are delighted with it and have had no probs but you need to be sure so don't be pressured into it

I had it done about 18 months ago and cant believe how good my eye sight is now. It takes a few months for your eyes to settle down after the treatment but after that everything is fine. My only regret is not having it done earlier.

karen7 said:
I got to the day of surgery and sat in front of the surgeon who told me that only one eye needed doing and i wouldn't gain that much so if i wanted to wait until they are both worse than he would be ok with that, so i didn't have it done
There are different types of correction and there is one that makes glare much worse especially at night.If they haven't given you a consent form then ask for one,it's several pages long but will tell you the risks of each type of correction so you can weigh up if it's worth it or not
The optician who did all the tests and scans gave me all the pro's and no many of the cons but the surgeon was very honest whch i appreciated and will go back when i feel it will be worth it
Most people i know who have had it done are delighted with it and have had no probs but you need to be sure so don't be pressured into it

Cheers Karen. I got worried the moment the consultant started pressuring me into it, I didn't think it was right. I asked about my glare problems and I didn't seem to get a proper answer. It seemed like I was just another person about to give them money, I think I'll get a second opinion somewhere else before I agree to it.

Manchester_lalala said:
karen7 said:

Cheers Karen. I got worried the moment the consultant started pressuring me into it, I didn't think it was right. I asked about my glare problems and I didn't seem to get a proper answer. It seemed like I was just another person about to give them money, I think I'll get a second opinion somewhere else before I agree to it.

Good idea,your own optician should be able to give you a good idea as well

cityfansimon said:
I had it done about 18 months ago and cant believe how good my eye sight is now. It takes a few months for your eyes to settle down after the treatment but after that everything is fine. My only regret is not having it done earlier.

Exactly this. I had mine done about 3 years ago, one eye for distance the other for reading and once it all settles down and your brain makes sense of what your eyes are seeing the results are fantastic, well mine are anyway. Went to the opticians for the usual test and check up for eye health etc and he said they have done a great job and I tested better than 20/20 vision. Money well spent.

nimrod said:
Braver than me mate

My wife works at an opthalmic hospital, over the years Ive got to know the surgeons there, nearly every one of them wears glasses, as far as my missus knows, none of them has had lasik eye surgery.......that tells me something, not enough is known on long term effects.

Bill Glasson, ophthalmic surgeon, works there, he was head of the Australian Medical Assoc, very very clever guy, wears glasses, here he is;

[bigimg]http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200803/r233952_938389.jpg[/bigimg]

Those are clear glass, to make him look sexy!

Manchester_lalala said:
Considering getting this done, well actually on the verge on commiting to it. I've got one worry about it though, I get severe eye strain when looking at tv's, my iPhone, computers and even headlights when it's dark at night. The consultant yesterday said my glare problems would be sorted out, but she is basically like a sales woman, she is going to say that. Looking at information online shows me that the treatment only improves your eye sight, doesn't say anything about fixing glare problems. I don't want to be the knob who had laser eye surgery yet still wears glasses.

Anybody had it done with similar problems to me?

I had Lasek surgery about 10 years ago. Fantastic results, no problems. You will require reading glasses as you get older with this though, but that didn't bother me.

18 months ago Mrs BB had the replacement of her natural lens with an artificial lens, known as clear lens extraction (CLE) or refractive lens extraction (RLE). This is newish as they didn't have a lens for both near and long sight before. She had different glasses for reading, computer and driving which was a pain. Now, no glasses and she will never need them as the lens is permanent and not muscle dependent. She's really pleased with it. It cost £3000.
I was never pressured and I also went with her for all her consultations and she wasn't either, in fact quite the reverse.

pfazz said:
cityfansimon said:

Exactly this. I had mine done about 3 years ago, one eye for distance the other for reading and once it all settles down and your brain makes sense of what your eyes are seeing the results are fantastic, well mine are anyway. Went to the opticians for the usual test and check up for eye health etc and he said they have done a great job and I tested better than 20/20 vision. Money well spent.

If better than 20/20 then doesn't that equate to things being distorted by being magnified though?
Not being pedantic honest, just also thinking of having this done so trying to get a handle on it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.