Last Film You Saw

Basically Pol Pot and his cohorts were sick of the government and hated the educated, privileged and wealthy.

The Khmer Rouge wanted to take the country back to 'year zero' and start all over again. They forced the well off to leave therir homes and cities they lived in, and join communal farms, they were starved, beaten and murdered by the KR, nearly everybody that could speak a foreign language, worked for the previous rulers, or in the Cambodian armed forces, were executed. Even to the point that those who wore glasses, were done away with.

The nation produced 3x more rice than ever before, but the KR were selling it to China to buy more weapons with.All the while, their own citizens were dying from malnutrition. Around 2m of the population of 7.5-8m people, died.

I agree, very decent film, the book obviously goes into a lot more detail and is fantastic, so is a book called: When Broken Glass Floats, definitely worth reading.
My understanding was that much of the starvation was also because they broke family groups up - sending e.g. one adult and one child from ricegrowing to the mountains, and similar, so those in the mountains couldn't survive the cold, and those in the farms didn't know how to grow rice.

The Tuol Sleng torture prison is an awful awful place.

The 25% death rate is what I've heard too.

The Killing Fields. 8/10, although I dont mind admitting that Im not quite smart enough to understand what the war was all about, except that it was horrific. Such a tragedy that the lead actor went through that in real life, and was then murdered on Mulholland Drive.
Fantastic film - both moving and thought-provoking. This was the first serious film I went to see at the cinema back in 1985.

After all the press coverage I thought I would give nomadland a watch. Coverage of a different lifestyle, not sure it is a choice for many. Not a lot happens apart from a woman driving round the country.

Just watched Greenland, decent end of the world fare, probably the best use of butler for a long while

Would recomend it as worth a watch

just watched something weird on netflix

hunter in the blue side of manchester

its an indonesian film, its about manchester city (sort of)
they obviously couldnt get the rights to use the name manchester city so they call it Manchester club, but its deffo our badge and they do use whats obviously loftus road with added manchester badges instead of the etihad, but the fans sing blue moon and its set in 2016 and the managers pelligrini. its supposed to be based on a true story.

its obviously lowish budget.

i am still not sure whether its good or not.

anyone else seen it?

just watched something weird on netflix

hunter in the blue side of manchester

its an indonesian film, its about manchester city (sort of)
they obviously couldnt get the rights to use the name manchester city so they call it Manchester club, but its deffo our badge and they do use whats obviously loftus road with added manchester badges instead of the etihad, but the fans sing blue moon and its set in 2016 and the managers pelligrini. its supposed to be based on a true story.

its obviously lowish budget.

i am still not sure whether its good or not.

anyone else seen it?

Mr. Church. Eddie Murphy in a straight role, no hint of the comedian. A very watchable and touching film. Well worth a watch but watch out for the dust that sometimes gets in your eyes!!

The cornetto trilogy. In terms if quality this is identical to the Godfather trilogy. First two are masterpieces (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) and then the third (The Worlds End) is a big drop in quality, but would have been received better if not linked to the first two films.
Shaun of the Dead 9/10
Hot Fuzz 9.5/10
The Worlds End 6.5/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.