Last Film You Saw

'The Bar'. OK its Spanish - it's on Netflix, it has subtitles and once it starts you soon forget as you are drawn into the story.
Bunch of non connected characters in a bar, mid morning in Madrid, as time passes mundane conversations, then as one customer leaves a sniper takes his head off in the street outside - another customer tries to help, same thing happens - to cut a long story short, everyone in the bar eventually realises the government will never let them leave alive.......... Surprised someone like Tarantino hasn't tried a remake of this one, Hollywood would have fun with this.
I recall watching Jamon Jamon in the early 90’s in Spanish. Penelope Cruz, wow saw her full talent in that! May be tempted to revisit again!

It's been mentioned that no one quite captures natures beauty and slowness as well as terry malick, but cook me gently if this was not filmed in slowmotionavision and extortionately stretched out for three hours. The film should have been ninety minutes long but terry insisted on tuning into real life mode, so for example when our hero was transported of to conscientious prison for interrygation we had to follow his solemn journey via all the different mode of transport of the day, interspersed with a few desolate shots of despair from his wife whilst mucking out her pigs and furloughing that field.

Based on a true story it certainly tackles important subjects not only honoring the life and sacrifice of the real franz jagerstat, but also examining mob mentality and how alpine village life can turn afoot by biting one on the proverbial arse. Speaking of Alpine life, the backdrops and cinematics were quite imense and definatly a place we would like to explore further, having only ventured to Saltszburg Aufweidersen. We did do the Saltsburg lakes whilst there and a had a trot up the Untersburg mountain, visited a zoo and Mr Mozarts house, but to be fair the scenery in this film gave discerning viewers like us an insatiable appetite for more.

Could any of us seriously have the ability to stand up to evil and lay down our life's for the principle. Non of the nasty villagers could and those parish priests had little desire to speak out and to be fair neither would I have have had penchant to face a guillotine. Bad times for sure and we both chatted over a Tassimo latte afterwards of how lucky we both are to have only just escaped that dreadful time frame in our blackened history. The film ends with a quote from George Eliot:

“For the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”

We gave it 3.5 out of 5

Last edited:
Cleopatra , thought I would give one of the classic's ago , first hour ok ,sets brilliant,after that all down hill 4and a bit hours I will never get back ,5/10

It's been mentioned that no one quite captures natures beauty and slowness as well as terry malick, but cook me gently if this was not filmed in slowmotionavision and extortionately stretched out for three hours. The film should have been ninety minutes long but terry insisted on tuning into real life mode, so for example when our hero was transported of to conscientious prison for interrygation we had to follow his solemn journey via all the different mode of transport of the day, interspersed with a few desolate shots of despair from his wife whilst mucking out her pigs and furloughing that field.

Based on a true story it certainly tackles important subjects not only honoring the life and sacrifice of the real franz jagerstat, but also examining mob mentality and how alpine village life can turn afoot by biting one on the proverbial arse. Speaking of Alpine life, the backdrops and cinematics were quite imense and definatly a place we would like to explore further, having only ventured to Saltszburg Aufweidersen. We did do the Saltsburg lakes whilst there and a had a trot up the Untersburg mountain, visited a zoo and Mr Mozarts house, but to be fair the scenery in this film gave discerning viewers like us an insatiable appetite for more.

Could any of us seriously have the ability to stand up to evil and lay down our life's for the principle. Non of the nasty villagers could and those parish priests had little desire to speak out and to be fair neither would I have have had penchant to face a guillotine. Bad times for sure and we both chatted over a Tassimo latte afterwards of how lucky we both are to have only just escaped that dreadful time frame in our blackened history. The film ends with a quote from George Eliot:

“For the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”

We gave it 3.5 out of 5

Interesting.
Been a while since I've sat down with a Mallick film tbf (in fact films in general as I got sucked into boxset land).

Has moment of incredible beauty though....stunning film maker: the imagery and soundtrack are often goose bump inducing.
You can see how he's easily parodied at times though.
I've probably missed his last few films if I'm honest...he used to have years between them but then suddenly made one every other week...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.