Last Film You Saw

The Northman

Visually out of this world. The opening 30 minutes did seem a bit off to me, couple of casting decisions, dialogue and peformance stuck out. And a couple of shots, and the editing. I felt like I didn't have confidence in it.

But it really stuck to its guns, and got stronger as it went along. By the end I was definitely impressed, despite carrying a few flaws, and never quite hitting the heights, I was very glad indeed the film had been made.

I just don't know if Eggers really nailed it. It was artistically ambitious and a few times that grated against the needs of a blockbuster film. But when the balancing act involved in presenting the Nordic mythology in a materially realistic world came off, they were pretty fantastic. The scene in the cave where he takes the sword was definitely a highlight.

And I liked that by the end, it was hard to avoid thinking our 'hero' was hardly such except in his own eyes, and yet still cheer that on. One aspect I liked was that Eggers kept him so plain and simple, so much a man built on nothing else but what that little boy had seen and felt.

In a funny way I'd compare it to Heat. It has that same empty, minimal, feel to the story and production.
I thought the Guardian review sums it up very well.

The Northman review – Robert Eggers’ brutal vision of vengeance and violence | Film | The Guardian

Top Gun Maverick bloody brilliant, go see it at the IMAX if you can, cheesy as hell but it transported me back to 1986, the flying sequences are unreal, yes a bit of CGI but the stuff in the cockpits you can see the strain on the actors. 8/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.