Last Night Of The Proms

Ifwecouldjust.......

They were literally photographed together at the site, you’re a total nut bag conspiracy theorist and that fox killing **** needs to shut up.

I think that if you looked at that image of them supposedly 'at the site' you would see that

1) the shadows cast aren't right

2) the infants legs are considerably shorter than in previous photographs (and we still haven't seen his face)

My money is still on the yacht ....

Ban-jani

I think that if you looked at that image of them supposedly 'at the site' you would see that

2) the infants legs are considerably shorter than in previous photographs (and we still haven't seen his face)

“There’s no shadow”

“How’s the US flag floating in the wind when there isn’t any wind on the moon?”

This is what you sound like and what have I told you about bringing the child into your conspiracies?

B

blueinsa

Fuck me lol.

NURSE!!!

KS55

It is an anachronism and the outburst of protectionism is way, way beyond its popularity. I know nobody who watches it, nor who has ever discussed it, until this point, so this is, in my opinion, a minority form of entertainment that seeks to protect a part of British culture that needs to be reexamined. We prospered, hugely, at the considerable expense of others and songs which continue to celebrate the age of the empire should be consigned to the past - they are no longer relevant to the vast majority and they are offensive to many, understandably so.
Er...Rule Britannia was written in about 1740 when there was no British Empire. So it cannot be a celebration of Empire. If you want to know what it is about, acquaint yourself with the War of Jenkins Ear.

KS55

The radical leftist insult only comes out to dismiss the debate, in my view.
History shifts as our culture develops and as new discoveries are made. For me, statues of men who called themselves philanthropists while maiming and torturing others in pursuit of profit, are not items to celebrate. I am in favour of keeping the statues but relabelling them so we learn about our true heritage; we gave much but, my god, we took a huge amount. As for a song that celebrates our 'conquering' of the globe, well that is not a song that should continue, in my view.
Another one. The song predates Empire and is from the Mercantile age. The slaves referred to are British sailors captured by the Spanish navy.

KS55

Yeah but they don't still sing the Horst Wessel song.
Oh and the 'uber alles' bit of their national anthem was dropped.
Deutschland uber Alles was a song urging German unity to take the place of separate states. The "Alles" are the Germanic states.

Southbanken

Lots of chat on here about extremism on both sides being the key cause of all these moral outrages, and i agree. The two party political system that we have supports this extremism on both sides, it pitches one side against another and lumps centre right with far right and centre left with far left and makes it impossible for anyone to offer nuance on either side.

We need political reform in this country, we need proportional representation and we need all voices to be heard to the level that they have popular support, rather than what we have at the moment whereby a racist, bigotted, swivel eyed loon and a moderately conservative free market unionist are forced to share the same party.

KS55

As a Scot, the Proms are seen by us as a basically middle class English hoo hah. I love classical music and have watched parts of it over the years though. We also have the notoriety of being up to our fucking necks in the Slave Trade. And recently we have been re examining our part in it all. Not a bit part. A major part. So we cannot take any moral ground without looking like twats.

I get all the points made for the motion to remove them and the argument to keep them, perhaps changing lyrics. This thread again highlights the main issue, white people talking about racism and of things pertaining to that either being justified, or overblown. I dont have the answer, I would hate to think that our people who are black, felt this was an endorsement and denial of our shady past. I dont think for a second people at the proms are glorifying slavery, or our major role in it.

So, I dont have a problem getting rid of statues of people who should be reviled. But, where do we draw the line? As a white guy whose country practically ran the fucking thing, I might not be the best person to ask. And even if you did, I am not sure I could answer it.
Beware of identity politics. White ppl cannot be estopped from dicussing slavery simply because they are not black.

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.