Lawn Mowers

Got a basic Honda ISY 19 years ago. Never had it serviced, changed the oil twice. Never changed the air filter. It's on its 2nd spark plug. Never drain it over winter.

And it starts 1st or 2nd pull every time and runs sweet as a nut. I use it to mow the lawns (obviously) and also to hoover up hedge cuttings (branches!) and general garden crap. Basically it gets completely abused, and its 19 years old and still works as good as new.

Phenomenal bit of kit.

I`ve had my 21" Honda mower with a roller (a must) for 22 years. Had it serviced once because I thought I should.
It sounds like I give my Honda the same abuse you give yours. For the last 8 years I`ve had a gardener. On the odd occasion I use it its still great.

I'm on my second Mountfield. About 8 years old. Had previous one for 21 years. Only replaced it due to being lazy and got a power driven one. Never had it serviced or the previous one either. Use about a gallon of petrol each summer so no constant trips to the garage. And no pain in the arse leads to move around.

I'm on my second Mountfield. About 8 years old. Had previous one for 21 years. Only replaced it due to being lazy and got a power driven one. Never had it serviced or the previous one either. Use about a gallon of petrol each summer so no constant trips to the garage. And no pain in the arse leads to move around.

I swear to god I am allergic to them. Cannot ****ing stand all the farting about with leads. I just washed my and the wife's cars this weekend with the pressure washer. i.e. hose pipe going in, pressure hose going out, mains lead plugged and extension cable. After 10 minutes I had the whole thing in such a knot and kept getting snagged under the tyres etc. The air was blue with me effing and blinding. Bloody nightmare.

I'd have a petrol powered pressure washer if I was buying again.

I'm currently in the market for a new mower for an average sized front/back lawn. What mower have you got? Is it any good? Hover, rotary, petrol? Which brands to avoid?

Cheers.

And no, I can't brick my lawn and set it ablaze, as tempting as that may be.

I’ve got a petrol I want to sell due to moving... Honda HYM530SPER. Paid £440 about 8 months ago and used it 3 times.

Last edited:
Bosch Rotak 37 Li - Wireless, battery powered lawnmower. Going into its 4th summer, outstanding - zero regrets

that's the future imo, lipo batteries with brushless motors are tailor-made for sporadic use. Even sit-ons can go this route. Back when i cared about lawns, getting a lump-free mound-free surface was the hard bit, once you achieve that a simple push-along once a week is no hardship, plus it gives frogs time to escape.

Mower selection depends on:

Quality of finish required.If you have good quality of grass, then go for a cylinder mower to cut quite short and get a bowling green finish. If it’s like a field with bumps and hollows, go for a rotary. They’re also good for cutting wet grass

Size of lawn. The larger the area, the greater the cutting width otherwise you’ll take ages going backwards and forwards. Bear in mind if you’ve got lots of obstacles don’t go too big. petrol is the choice for large lawns, electric for smaller ones

whichever you go for always go for one with a grass box, to collect clippings otherwise you’ll be returning any weed seeds back to your lawn which just makes matters worse

Brand. With most things, buy the best one you can afford. Remember “buy cheap, buy twice”.
Honda and Mountfield are good, but Hayter is the Rolls Royce of mowers

I swear to god I am allergic to them. Cannot ****ing stand all the farting about with leads. I just washed my and the wife's cars this weekend with the pressure washer. i.e. hose pipe going in, pressure hose going out, mains lead plugged and extension cable. After 10 minutes I had the whole thing in such a knot and kept getting snagged under the tyres etc. The air was blue with me effing and blinding. Bloody nightmare.

I'd have a petrol powered pressure washer if I was buying again.

Bought a new but snide Honda one off ebay a couple of years ago and is going great, well worth it in the summer....3 vehicles and all done in about 15 minutes. Draws up the soap on low pressure nozzle, change nozzle to high pressure and bob's your uncle, job done. Just serviced it this morning, mainly because I'm bored but have had a problem with starting it this year, reset the valves and cleaned it all up inside, still no better but still working...
As they say...if your life or living depends on it, get a Honda...a real one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.