Le Tour de France 2016

Delighted for Cav, hoping he can take the green jersey this year as I can't stand Greipel and it'd be a bit sore for Cav if Kittel won it with Cav's last team!

Not sure what to make of the GC. Sky have two leaders in Froomey and G so does that mean they're confident Froomey will win it with ease leaving room for them to mess about with a second leader or does it mean they're not too confident in Froome? Time will tell obviously but I think if Quintana can keep up through the first week then it might be his year as he came mighty close last year and his only setback was the first week. Gonna be a great watch as it always is!

I doubt G is co-leader. Maybe SKY learned a valuable lesson in 2012. It is also arguable G is good enough to lead in a GT. I say that as G fan.
Each team really needs two GC riders in my book. That way if one gets injured and has to quit the Tour (which Froome did a few years back) then the other GC rider steps up. That's why I had a couple of quid on G for a podium finish this year. :)

I doubt G is co-leader. Maybe SKY learned a valuable lesson in 2012. It is also arguable G is good enough to lead in a GT. I say that as G fan.
You don’t win the tour in the first week, but, as Alberto and Porte will aver, you can certainly lose it. G is a very, very good bike rider. A GT winner he ain’t though - he’s not in that top echelon of Froome, Aru, Nibali, Contador and Quintana. I know he’s no mammoth but he simply isn’t the right physique: he’d have to lose a good 6-8 kgs to match those guys in the mountain top finishes. And maintain their power. And that’s where he’d come unstuck. Sagan rode it to perfection today, took out a whole host of front runners with his initial surge, waited, then went again. The guy is so powerful, few could pull that off. Let’s hope Cav can win tomorrow and match Hinault’s record.

Was having a discussion with my Dad about the Tour and I was shocked when he said "they should just let them all take drugs".
I was taken aback at first then he explained his reasoning; if the majority of them are using drugs why not let them all, the human body isn't capable of withstanding the demands of the current tour. The current tour is 21 stages over 2,197 miles compared to 6 stages and 1509 miles in 1903.
The Winning time was 94h 33' 14" in 1903 and 84h 46' 14" last year. So on the face of it the cyclists travel an extra 700 miles now, over less time across 15 more stages but the main difference is the Terrain on the route and the intensity these athletes are performing at.
I don't agree with his idea but it's an interesting viewpoint nevertheless

Where does everyone else stand on this, should they all be allowed to dope to allow for a fairer playing field?

Last edited:
Brailsford said he was their "second leader"

Reading between the lines of recent interviews with G, he may be the go to option if something happens to Froome. That doesn't appear to be the same as 'co leader'.

Each team really needs two GC riders in my book. That way if one gets injured and has to quit the Tour (which Froome did a few years back) then the other GC rider steps up. That's why I had a couple of quid on G for a podium finish this year. :)

Have you got a 'cash out' option? ;)

How sad that Contador crashed and Porte got a mechanical at an unfortunate time. It would have been great to see Contador, Froome and Quintana go head-to-head in the final week with TJVG and Porte pushing them.

Good to see some serious knowledge coming through again lads. Bluemoon never fails to deliver!
So pleased for Cav today. As has been said I hope he sees it through to Paris. Thing now though is he might see it as mission already accomplished and bin it off to concentrate on Rio. Hope not. 2012 when he won in Paris was fantastic and the angle of the TV coverage when he came into shot was one of the best iconic sporting TV shots ever in my book.
Fuckin love the Tour!
Agreed.

Watching the first British TDF winner giving a draft to the Cav to win on the Champs Elysee put a lump in my throat. What a day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.