League 1 playoff final record attendance (still 1999)

uwerosler28

Currently stands at 76,935 set in 1999 when city played Gillingham , not sure how though as obviously we have no history! Is there a good chance this could be broken today? , Sunderland have a decent following and playing a southern based club ?

Good of them, a big day for both clubs the more there the better the atmosphere

City equaled Sunderland for league titles 2 weeks ago. Having got 85k for the football league trophy they were always going to smash it.

Two big clubs these two.

Charlton were once London’s best supported club. After Woolwich Arsenal left their area to invade Spurs’ area, Charlton’s support quadrupled in two decades. They averaged 40k in 1949 and had regular crowds over 70k in the 1930s and 40s.

Sunderland were one of the most successful teams in the country in the early few decades of the sport. They’d won 6 league titles by 1936. We won our first a year later (Charlton actually came second to us by 3points) and have only just won our 6th this season.

Both clubs have top 10 largest ever English club ground attendances. Charlton sit 8th when they got 75031 in 1938 and Sunderland got 75118 in 1933.

I like Sunderland though so hope they go up but would like to see both clubs higher up than they are now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pisses me off something rotten theses Wembley attendances....Newport County, average att, 3,400 they took 12,000 to Wembley. Now if these 12,000 ( or most of them...) went every week and supported ' their team ' as opposed to one glorious day out, the future of ' their club ' would be be so much healthier with the prospect of better football and so on and so forth.

Two big clubs these two.

Charlton were once London’s best supported club. After Woolwich Arsenal left their area to invade Spurs’ area, Charlton’s support quadrupled in two decades. They averaged 40k in 1949 and had regular crowds over 70k in the 1930s and 40s.

Sunderland were one of the most successful teams in the country in the early few decades of the sport. They’d won 6 league titles by 1936. We won our first a year later (Charlton actually came second to us by 3points) and have only just won our 6th this season.

Both clubs have top 10 largest ever English club ground attendances. Charlton sit 8th when they got 75031 in 1938 and Sunderland got 75118 in 1933.

I like Sunderland though so hope they go up but would like to see both clubs higher up than they are now.
Didn’t know about charlton being so big in 30’s...

Goes looking at http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

Charlton have sold out , pretty laughable conceding they average around 11,000 for league games. I’ve got many mates going so on that basis. C’mon Sunderland!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.