League One Thread - 2021/22 | Sunderland promoted

Pleased for Sunderland. I remember their enormous following at the end of the 90/91 season at Maine Road. They got relegated that day but their fans were amazing and ended up on the pitch swapping scarves with City fans.
Ah the post-relegation love-in.
Yet so many on here burst into tears at the mere mention of those clowns from Kenilworth Road.

All derbies are big
They are. But I always think the biggest are between two different cities/towns that are close by. Same-city/town derbies can have family and friend connections to either club, whereas Sunderland and Newcastle have been opposing each other since the English Civil War with both towns fighting for opposing sides in the 1600s. It’s a history of hate between the two places, ingrained in their cultures.

City and United is a bigger game, we hate each other, but we both live in and love Manchester. We’ve all got mates and family who support either side. Yes you get local bragging rights as the pride of your city/town in a same-city/town derby but I don’t think it’s the same level as a Sunderland-Newcastle situation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.