Leeds away 1977 FA Cup

It makes me laugh when you watch videos like this and hear of this rivalry between United and Leeds fans. Now I'm not saying it was exactly friendly between them two back in the day but from what I can gather it was every bit as heated whenever City and Leeds met in the 70's and 80's, if not more so. And with us both kicking around the second division for part of the 80's as well, this kind of shit continued long after it did between United and Leeds once Leeds were relegated in 1982.

Incidentally, when I watched that video on YouTube a while back there were comments from Leeds fans saying that nobody ever brought as many fans to Elland Road as City did for those FA Cup games in 1977 and 1978, and also credited City fans for infiltrating their Kop which was seemingly off limits to every visiting fan. Obviously, the bigger allocation for FA Cup games was a factor in those followings of ours but Leeds would've played plenty of other teams at ER in the FA Cup back in the 70's and no-one else took those same numbers according to them.

It makes me laugh when you watch videos like this and hear of this rivalry between United and Leeds fans. Now I'm not saying it was exactly friendly between them two back in the day but from what I can gather it was every bit as heated whenever City and Leeds met in the 70's and 80's, if not more so. And with us both kicking around the second division for part of the 80's as well, this kind of shit continued long after it did between United and Leeds once Leeds were relegated in 1982.

Incidentally, when I watched that video on YouTube a while back there were comments from Leeds fans saying that nobody ever brought as many fans to Elland Road as City did for those FA Cup games in 1977 and 1978, and also credited City fans for infiltrating their Kop which was seemingly off limits to every visiting fan. Obviously, the bigger allocation for FA Cup games was a factor in those followings of ours but Leeds would've played plenty of other teams at ER in the FA Cup back in the 70's and no-one else took those same numbers according to them.
We took a big following to a few league games in the 70s as well, especially the Xmas match in 76/77 when we were in contention at the top and Kiddo scored both goals in a 2-0 win - the front part of the South Stand was still terraced and it was rammed solid that day, at least 10,000 City there. Even for a fairly nondescript match in 78/79 we took a decent following as shown in the vid.

As you rightly point out,the enmity between City and Leeds goes back 50 years to the days of Don Revie's Leeds team.
Every City fan that I know who is over the age of 50 hates these sheep shagging twats with a passion.
And then you get the younger guys going on the Leeds United thread saying they can't wait for Leeds to be promoted back to the EPL, they will bring a full allocation to The Etihad etc.
All I can say to the younger guys who post such drivel is ask your Dad about what it was like back in the 70s/80s vs Leeds and then take his advice!!!

As you rightly point out,the enmity between City and Leeds goes back 50 years to the days of Don Revie's Leeds team.
Every City fan that I know who is over the age of 50 hates these sheep shagging twats with a passion.
And then you get the younger guys going on the Leeds United thread saying they can't wait for Leeds to be promoted back to the EPL, they will bring a full allocation to The Etihad etc.
All I can say to the younger guys who post such drivel is ask your Dad about what it was like back in the 70s/80s vs Leeds and then take his advice!!!
Tbh in my experience ,Leeds was nowhere near as bad as some places due to city going there in big numbers back in the day . Liverpool , Everton , United , Birmingham wolves and any of the north east grounds were far worse( never got south of the Midlands back then so can't comment on those ) . Even traveling incognito with zero colours was no guarantee of safety as I found to my cost outside lime st station once !! I stopped doing aways about 83 due to marriage ,kids and stuff and only really started doing them again about 7 years ago .it's a piece of piss these days compared to 40 years ago . Even anfield and old Trafford are nothing in comparison.

I was at that game in '78. It was like the Wild West outside. The most scared I've ever been at a game (I was only a kid but nonetheless).
The Newcastle game in the cup was scarier for me. Apparently they wanted revenge on us for winning the league there in 68 and taking over half the ground, they were waiting for our biggest following since that game

We took a big following to a few league games in the 70s as well, especially the Xmas match in 76/77 when we were in contention at the top and Kiddo scored both goals in a 2-0 win - the front part of the South Stand was still terraced and it was rammed solid that day, at least 10,000 City there. Even for a fairly nondescript match in 78/79 we took a decent following as shown in the vid.
that was big mals first game back as manager ( although he was called assistant at first ) in his ill fated second spell !! They had sold Joe Jordan to Stretford the week before so were all singing " we hate Jordan " !! It was also the first time we only got the corner and not the stand behind the goals , bit of a bottleneck outside afterwards with yorkies coming from both sides .

There was a 2 0 win at Leeds in the league at around that time, possibly Boxing Day, maybe 76? Until the Mancini Pellers Pep era one of City’s best ever away performances I had witnessed. Great team we had under Skip

Tbh in my experience ,Leeds was nowhere near as bad as some places due to city going there in big numbers back in the day . Liverpool , Everton , United , Birmingham wolves and any of the north east grounds were far worse( never got south of the Midlands back then so can't comment on those ) . Even traveling incognito with zero colours was no guarantee of safety as I found to my cost outside lime st station once !! I stopped doing aways about 83 due to marriage ,kids and stuff and only really started doing them again about 7 years ago .it's a piece of piss these days compared to 40 years ago . Even anfield and old Trafford are nothing in comparison.
Your experiences mirror that of my own. South of Brum I only ever went to Bristol City and QPR in 76/77 and also Chelsea in 1971 ECWC semi-final. Did most of West and East Midlands grounds and most of Lancashire in the mid/ late 70s.
Got married in 1981 and had 2 daughters in 82 and 83. Only did the occasional away match (Notts County 85 and Derby County 90) until about 12/13 years ago.Then started doing 6/7 aways each year with my youngest daughter.
As you say,compared to the 70s each away game is easy,wearing club colours no problem,lots of children and families in attendance.

that was big mals first game back as manager ( although he was called assistant at first ) in his ill fated second spell !! They had sold Joe Jordan to Stretford the week before so were all singing " we hate Jordan " !! It was also the first time we only got the corner and not the stand behind the goals , bit of a bottleneck outside afterwards with yorkies coming from both sides .
The beginning of decades of decline and under achievement, still great decades though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.