Leeds United 2016/17 thread

I remember seeing an interview with the Irishman Jack Charlton once and he reckoned that Revie didn't take any inspiration from the Madrid kit, but had noticed that you could spot the white kit a fraction quicker, when passing the ball. Don't know whether true or not but Charlton did then put that massive white stripe on to the front of the Middlesbrough kit.
Whatever the truth of it, I just hope Elland Road spontaneously combusts one day.

I hope Elland Road spontaneously combusts every day!

I remember seeing an interview with the Irishman Jack Charlton once and he reckoned that Revie didn't take any inspiration from the Madrid kit, but had noticed that you could spot the white kit a fraction quicker, when passing the ball. Don't know whether true or not but Charlton did then put that massive white stripe on to the front of the Middlesbrough kit.
Whatever the truth of it, I just hope Elland Road spontaneously combusts one day.
Is this the same "Irishman Jack Charlton" who won a World Cup winners medal with England in 1966?

Is this the same "Irishman Jack Charlton" who won a World Cup winners medal with England in 1966?
The same Jack Charlton, who, when asked if he had mixed feelings following Ireland's victory over England at the Euros in 1988, said he had no mixed feelings at all.

Ask Francis Lee if he thought Hunter was hard:

I mentioned our Franny, all 5 foot 7 of him sending Hunter (6 foot something) backwards and down in an earlier post. If it was a boxing match the ref would have stopped it. More hard players and deliberate foulers in those days. Even commentators didn't criticise 'em. 'Professional foul' they used to say as though it was perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
And every one of them, from number 1 to number 11, were a bunch of cloggers, the worst being Giles. Clarke was the best ankle tapper I've ever seen - the number of defenders who mysteriously "tripped" on a one to one chase for the ball with him, leaving him clean through on goal. It wasn't until slow motion replays came in that you saw what he was doing. And don't get me started on Bremner, Hunter et al.

Hated the team, the ground, the supporters, the tactics, the "gamesmanship" (AKA cheating). What was there to like?

And every one of them, from number 1 to number 11, were a bunch of cloggers, the worst being Giles. Clarke was the best ankle tapper I've ever seen - the number of defenders who mysteriously "tripped" on a one to one chase for the ball with him, leaving him clean through on goal. It wasn't until slow motion replays came in that you saw what he was doing. And don't get me started on Bremner, Hunter et al.

Hated the team, the ground, the supporters, the tactics, the "gamesmanship" (AKA cheating). What was there to like?
Highly unpleasant group of players with a very small number of exceptions. You're right, Giles was the worst, but he could play a bit. I remember Jack Charlton going on a football tv prog where he and other random players took questions from fans in the studio and fans phoning in - the forerunner of the 'phone ins'. He said he had a black book of players he would take revenge on and 'do' at some point. Would get banned these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.