Legal advice for a mate

Southern

My mate was charged with assault a couple of months ago. He says it was self defence - he was at his girlfriend's house, then a male relative came in and was surprised to see him there. There was an altercation, and the friend was charged with assault. Tracker put on, and he has not been allowed in the same postcode as the now ex-girlfriend (which is same as his postcode). So he has been staying with relative a few miles away

Had court date last week at Magistrate court, but neither witness (gf and the gf's male relative) turned up despite court summons. Now case date postponed by 6 weeks. His life is on hold in meantime and he's getting very depressed.

How much of the impact on his mental health could help in the case being dropped?

My mate was charged with assault a couple of months ago. He says it was self defence - he was at his girlfriend's house, then a male relative came in and was surprised to see him there. There was an altercation, and the friend was charged with assault. Tracker put on, and he has not been allowed in the same postcode as the now ex-girlfriend (which is same as his postcode). So he has been staying with relative a few miles away

Had court date last week at Magistrate court, but neither witness (gf and the gf's male relative) turned up despite court summons. Now case date postponed by 6 weeks. His life is on hold in meantime and he's getting very depressed.

How much of the impact on his mental health could help in the case being dropped?

Won’t be dropped because of impact on his mental health mate.

Don’t you have to go to court if summoned? Someone in my old block of flats was being prosecuted and did a runner. The police came round to arrest him.

I am surprised the date was put back 6 weeks if they didn't turn up when summoned.
The court took a very dim view when a witness didn't show up in a case I was involved in.

When Hereford United were wound up, owner Andy Lonsdale was “stuck in traffic” with proof of £1,000,000 to pay the debts. The Judge looked furious and shut them down.

I got done for GBH many years ago, the main witness didn't turn up to court and the case was dismissed ,so im surprised this has been put back,

also surprised by a relative ,what actually happened .?

I am surprised the date was put back 6 weeks if they didn't turn up when summoned.
The court took a very dim view when a witness didn't show up in a case I was involved in.
Only because you had bound, gagged and locked him in your cellar.

Don’t you have to go to court if summoned? Someone in my old block of flats was being prosecuted and did a runner. The police came round to arrest him.
Police couldn't find the witnesses apparently

Is this anecdotal OP or were you there?
I wasn't at the incident, or court.

also surprised by a relative ,what actually happened .?

Mate is from a more working class background than me. Don't know the full story, but he says he was with this girl, and this male relative turned up and they had an altercation. It's his work against the mate's. The relative has a worse criminal record than my mate. The girl called my mate couple of weeks ago to say she want to drop the case and not be a witness but her relative doesn't

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.