Legendary Status

Touré is a legend for us. What he did off the pitch might have hurt some (reasonably so) but he did as much as if not more than any other City player between 2010-14.

Like, just for the sake of argument, if when Silva leaves at the end of the season he chats shit about City, would that mean he's no longer considered a legend? Would that make his 10 year contribution any less important? Of course not. You might like him less but he'd still be a legend (I know he wouldn't chat shit about City in case that's an argument you're thinking of).

Zabaleta will always be a hero (for so many reasons), but legend is a stretch. He was consistent and ridiculously hard working, but never really THAT great. I don't think he ever hit the levels Richards did in the first half of 11-12 for instance.

I honestly think the fact we've never been a top team for too long means that everyone involved in every successful side is put on a pedestal. Hopefully in 10 years time, with continued success and more truly top players having great careers for us, my point will be clearer.

A legend to me is somebody who gave his heart and soul for the club over a large part of their career.
Yaya doesn’t come close for me, as good as he was for a few seasons.
Dave, Vinny, Serge and a honourable mention to Zabba.

A legend to me is somebody who gave his heart and soul for the club over a large part of their career.
No Toure, no trophies.

Touré is a legend for us. What he did off the pitch might have hurt some (reasonably so) but he did as much as if not more than any other City player between 2010-14.

Like, just for the sake of argument, if when Silva leaves at the end of the season he chats shit about City, would that mean he's no longer considered a legend? Would that make his 10 year contribution any less important? Of course not. You might like him less but he'd still be a legend (I know he wouldn't chat shit about City in case that's an argument you're thinking of).

Zabaleta will always be a hero (for so many reasons), but legend is a stretch. He was consistent and ridiculously hard working, but never really THAT great. I don't think he ever hit the levels Richards did in the first half of 11-12 for instance.

I honestly think the fact we've never been a top team for too long means that everyone involved in every successful side is put on a pedestal. Hopefully in 10 years time, with continued success and more truly top players having great careers for us, my point will be clearer.
You're comparing the hypothetical situation of Dave slagging us off after he's left, to the Yaya situation. One major difference; Yaya started acting the gobshite while he was still with us. Now, some may argue that that was down to his agent. But surely, the agent is there to do his best for his client. Not sure how damaging the player's relationship with his employer is helping or benefitting said player. Now, Yaya could, at any point, have slapped his agent down and told him, nicely, to STFU. But he didn't.

I totally agree about Yaya and I just can’t hold him in the same light as Dave, Kun or Vinnie. Those three for me epitomize everything that is great about the club and the last 10 years. Yaya delivered some incredible moments, but for me will never be anywhere near the level I hold those three at.

You're comparing the hypothetical situation of Dave slagging us off after he's left, to the Yaya situation. One major difference; Yaya started acting the gobshite while he was still with us. Now, some may argue that that was down to his agent. But surely, the agent is there to do his best for his client. Not sure how damaging the player's relationship with his employer is helping or benefitting said player. Now, Yaya could, at any point, have slapped his agent down and told him, nicely, to STFU. But he didn't.
I get what you're saying, and I won't tell a single soul that they should like the guy, but I'm not going to discount the magnificent things he did on the pitch for us over a few pieces of dickheadery off of it.

If David Silva had spent his entire tenure at the club being a dickhead I'd be arguing he would be just as much a legend as if he didn't. I'm judging footballers not people. If you want to take personal behaviour into account then fair enough.

A legend doesn’t disrespect his club.
Pretty straight forward for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.