Leicester (H) Post-Match Thread

A restorative performance from the team today, they did what Pep wanted and showed just what they are still capable of doing. Keep that up and we will likely win multiple trophies again.

Reminded me a bit of when we played West Ham away in Pep's first season from whence it became apparent that Pep had found the right formula for the team to go on and develop into back to back champions.

Payed closed attention to him today. Not sure what to make of him. Thought he was at fault for 2 of our goals, and seemed to struggle under pressure at times.
His defensive work was better than the last game I watched him . I mean kdb turned him like an fired egg but his over all play was impressive in my opinion.

Mmmmmmm - not really consistent to say we couldn't replace Aguero for £300m, but you say Jesus should be 1st choice. I think you did watch a different game - to me anyway.
We slaughtered Leicester today. You're very negative, considering that was imho our best, and most thrilling performance of the season against the strongest team, apart from Liverpool.
Damning Mahrez with faint praise after he puts in probably his best performance is a bit mystifying to me.
Have a rethink in the morning and post again if or when you're in a better mood.
I couldn't be in a better mood pal and that's a far from negative post, in fact it's praising the tactical change from Pep which I think decided the game. Without that change (and it was a risky one with Vardy about) we wouldn't have won that game, Leicester stopped us passing through central areas until that point. I thought it was genius.

As for Mahrez, it's just one game, I'm not going to get too over excited because we have all seen how inconsistent he is. I do however say it's this best game for us, so again don't understand how you see it as a negative. I also praised Mahrez in the motm thread too.

At this stage of Aguero's career, I think Jesus should be first choice because he offers more right now than the current Aguero. Aguero's not quite the player he was, he's still one of the best players in world football but I think he's lost that burst of acceleration which made him unplayable. In terms of the "£300m" figure, that was in respect of when Aguero was at his very best, as I don't think there's a player (Messi excluded) who is even close to that level. For example I don't think Mbappe is as good currently or potentially as what Sergio was at his best.

Thought we played them off the park , remember this is a Leicester side who have lost only twice and only to dodgy penalties against the Dippers and Rags.
I thought Leicester started brilliantly, they had our number as far as I'm concerned up until the decision to move Sterling inside. They're a really good team, I think they've actually imroved quite significantly from the team that we beat at the end of last season despite the result. We absolutely battered them after the change.

Posts like this one make my head hurt. Quite unbelievable.

Anyway, outstanding. From the first kick to the last. Mahrez was outstanding, his touch, his technique, everything. That was the Leicester Mahrez and the one I thought we had signed.

Get some consistency into our game now and play like that every week and we will comfortably finish 2nd and with a couple more trophies in the bank.
You mention it yourself; consistency. When Mahrez develops it then we can all get as excited as you, until then I'll remain balanced thanks and not expect too much next week. He had a great game, his best one for us by far but we all know as the last 18 months have shown it probably won't last beyond today.

A big plus from the game was how much less direct we were today. Our passing was far more sensible; we were far more willing to go back to Ederson than previously.

We waited until we were set until we launched an attack. It meant our players were so much closer together and it meant our counterpressing was so much better.
It was back to basics Pep style, creating an overload in central midfield. Over the last two seasons it's been the fullbacks coming into midfield, today it was Sterling creating the 4 vs 3 overload.

You mention it yourself; consistency. When Mahrez develops it then we can all get as excited as you, until then I'll remain balanced thanks and not expect too much next week. He had a great game, his best one for us by far but we all know as the last 18 months have shown it probably won't last beyond today.
If Mahrez could reproduce the level of the 1st half on a consistent basis he would be a magnificent player, but that is the problem consistency.

The difference I noticed was having two midfielders in a deeper role. It provided a platform for that performance and everyone benefited from it. Gundo and Bernie owned the midfield and gave Kev the perfect platform to attack. With Walker, Mendy and Fern all augmenting the midfield when called for, it gave us a great deal of stability. There one chance and goal came from Walker overcommitting in their half albeit they executed it very well. Kev is without doubt the best midfielder on the planet when he plays like that. I thought every single player contributed really well and nobody was below par.

I really rate Leicester as well, but I don't think they had our number at any point in this game. They ran out of ideas & energy by the end & somr of their players I admire had off days (Madison, Ndidi, Chilwell).
Vardy was great and a huge threat bit if we had a defender who could run as fast as him they wouldn't have created anything. They made 3 or 4 clear chances and all were from Vardy spinning in behind on the counter. There literally was nothing else from them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.