Deal agreed with Bayern Munich for Leroy Sane - €60m (including add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wish it would get sorted one way or another. The sheer number of pages on this thread are testament to how drawn out this has been.

Sane is a fantastic young player who could easily be one of the top 3 in the world - question for me is all about his approach to risk.

Does he take the risk of staying at City, where he will be surrounded by world class players and coach, but where he’s not going to be a guaranteed starter, or move back to his home country where he’s got a higher chance of having the team built round him?

Right now my guess is he will leave. I think if he was determined to stay we would have heard.
The problem is that Bayern dictate the news agenda. Sane has said nothing. City fans are bound to respond to almost daily news comment in the media about their club.

It will ironically I believe have a positive effect when the season starts, because Sane will be seen to have turned down Bayern for City. Pep knows this. His comments in press conferences are smart. I think he knows he's not going to Bayern, but he makes out it's not in our hands so that when Sane appears in a City shirt next season, he'll be very popular at a moment when otherwise some might question why he's not extended his deal.

Like this you mean? "You are just a wind-up merchant or a gullible fool:

Oh dear. Look, I came on here to comment on the issue of Sane’s supposed arrogant comment to Foden. You seem more interested in picking fights with me. Enjoy

Oh dear. Look, I came on here to comment on the issue of Sane’s supposed arrogant comment to Foden. You seem more interested in picking fights with me. Enjoy
I'll leave you in peace but if in the future you want to call someone a gullible fool, dont be surprised if someone calls you out

i’ve always found the issue of squad rotation pretty interesting tbh. as in getting the game-time balance right to keep every player happy + sharp + in-form etc.

hypothetically, if we were going into 19/20 with the following midfield/forward personnel + approximate start distribution (not accounting for injuries), i feel we would have the balance about right:

CM: fernandinho, 26 starts; rodri, 12 starts

CAM: de bruyne, 26 starts; gundogan, 12 starts

CAM: bernardo, 16 starts; silva, 16 starts; foden, 6 starts

RW: sterling, 26 starts; bernardo, 12 starts

LW: sane, 26 starts; jesus, 12 starts

ST: aguero, 26 starts; jesus, 12 starts

i quite like mahrez as a person. clearly very talented player. doesn’t change the fact that he was an utterly disastrous signing. one which has ultimately risked doing the club far more harm than good.

i looked up our players’ league minutes for 18/19; mahrez chalked up c. 1300 mins, sane c. 1900 mins. now imagine if we hadn’t signed mahrez, and those 1300 mins were up for grabs. i would suggest 700 could have gone to sane (giving him roughly the same game time as sterling/bernardo, + bit more than he got last season), with rest going to gundogan/foden/jesus.

no chance mahrez deserved those 700 mins more than sane. mahrez is a classic big fish small pond type (bit like sanchez, zaha, fraser), at his best surrounded by workhorses (okazaki, drinkwater, albrighton, simpson etc) whose selfless legwork allows him to sprinkle the fairy dust. ie he’s a very poor fit for guardiola’s system. would be amazed if he has a world class season ahead of him.

and that’s exactly what sane is going to become (if he isn’t already). world class. collectively, sane, bernardo, de bruyne and sterling can give us a world class attacking midfield for the next 6-8 years. and if we do sell sane, i genuinely can’t think of a single player we could realistically replace him with who’d be an upgrade in terms of current ability/potential (sole exception being mbappe, who’s better at ST anyway).

if we do sell then, it would amount to the club knowingly downgrading on one of its best players, largely because it spent a season sacrificing his game time in order to accommodate a dud signing. he’d be on less money at bayern, playing alongside inferior teammates (lewandowski and kimmich aside), in an inferior league, under a vastly inferior manager. all logic points to the issue being one of guaranteed first team football; if guardiola’s plan is to go into 19/20 with sterling starting on the left, and bernardo/mahrez rotating on the right – huge mistake imho – then pursuing first team football elsewhere would (sadly) be right decision for sane to make.

fwiw, my guess is thankfully he will stay (mainly because bayern are bit rubbish), and fight his way back into guardiola’s first team plans. meaning there’s a strong possibility we see that dream long-term scenario materialise of sane – bernardo – de bruyne – sterling, four players all regularly challenging for pfa poty, and possibly the greatest attacking midfield english football has ever seen.

remember also mbappe’s contract runs out in 2022 and he’s made it clear he’s not renewing; bring him in to replace aguero next summer, and everyone else might as well just give up for the next decade.

no chance mahrez deserved those 700 mins more than sane. mahrez is a classic big fish small pond type (bit like sanchez, zaha, fraser), at his best surrounded by workhorses (okazaki, drinkwater, albrighton, simpson etc) whose selfless legwork allows him to sprinkle the fairy dust. ie he’s a very poor fit for guardiola’s system. would be amazed if he has a world class season ahead of him.
Yeah he didn't deserve them when he was bagging winners against Bournemouth and Spurs. What a ridiculous post.

i’ve always found the issue of squad rotation pretty interesting tbh. as in getting the game-time balance right to keep every player happy + sharp + in-form etc.

hypothetically, if we were going into 19/20 with the following midfield/forward personnel + approximate start distribution (not accounting for injuries), i feel we would have the balance about right:

CM: fernandinho, 26 starts; rodri, 12 starts

CAM: de bruyne, 26 starts; gundogan, 12 starts

CAM: bernardo, 16 starts; silva, 16 starts; foden, 6 starts

RW: sterling, 26 starts; bernardo, 12 starts

LW: sane, 26 starts; jesus, 12 starts

ST: aguero, 26 starts; jesus, 12 starts

i quite like mahrez as a person. clearly very talented player. doesn’t change the fact that he was an utterly disastrous signing. one which has ultimately risked doing the club far more harm than good.

i looked up our players’ league minutes for 18/19; mahrez chalked up c. 1300 mins, sane c. 1900 mins. now imagine if we hadn’t signed mahrez, and those 1300 mins were up for grabs. i would suggest 700 could have gone to sane (giving him roughly the same game time as sterling/bernardo, + bit more than he got last season), with rest going to gundogan/foden/jesus.

and that’s exactly what sane is going to become (if he isn’t already). world class. collectively, sane, bernardo, de bruyne and sterling can give us a world class attacking midfield for the next 6-8 years. and if we do sell sane, i genuinely can’t think of a single player we could realistically replace him with who’d be an upgrade in terms of current ability/potential (sole exception being mbappe, who’s better at ST anyway).

if we do sell then, it would amount to the club knowingly downgrading on one of its best players, largely because it spent a season sacrificing his game time in order to accommodate a dud signing. he’d be on less money at bayern, playing alongside inferior teammates (lewandowski and kimmich aside), in an inferior league, under a vastly inferior manager. all logic points to the issue being one of guaranteed first team football; if guardiola’s plan is to go into 19/20 with sterling starting on the left, and bernardo/mahrez rotating on the right – huge mistake imho – then pursuing first team football elsewhere would (sadly) be right decision for sane to make.

fwiw, my guess is thankfully he will stay (mainly because bayern are bit rubbish), and fight his way back into guardiola’s first team plans. meaning there’s a strong possibility we see that dream long-term scenario materialise of sane – bernardo – de bruyne – sterling, four players all regularly challenging for pfa poty, and possibly the greatest attacking midfield english football has ever seen.

remember also mbappe’s contract runs out in 2022 and he’s made it clear he’s not renewing; bring him in to replace aguero next summer, and everyone else might as well just give up for the next decade.
Even Wigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.